In light of the greatest song ever recorded thread ....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
What is the first (for lack of better words, since I'm old) album you ever bought, and in what format (vinyl, 8 track, cassette, CD, etc).

For me, it was Black Sabbath Paranoid on LP (vinyl).

Reactions: Marknmd
Rock
Pink Floyd
The Dark Side of the Moon
Original purchase was vinyl, but loaned it to someone and never got it back.
Purchased replacement on CD and I think my son is currently in possession.

Mixed Folk Country Blue Grass
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Will the Circle be Unbroken
K-sets (cassette)

Edit had to add another genre.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
I have most of the old stuff on CD, but CDs didn't yet exist when I started buying music. Vinyl was still king, 8-track was second, and cassettes were just getting their start.

Believe it or not, the first Album I bought at the age of 14 was a Frank Sinatra Album "Sinatra the Great Years" 3 album set. Vinyl. I used to dislike 8 tracks. Cassettes were much better.

Reactions: avidbow and DougE
Believe it or not, the first Album I bought at the age of 14 was a Frank Sinatra Album "Sinatra the Great Years" 3 album set. Vinyl. I used to dislike 8 tracks. Cassettes were much better.
Frankie was still a thing when I was growing up, but more among our parents' age group.

Reactions: MJB05615
Right after CDs were announced and I told my wife we needed to consider getting a CD player, she said no because it was a passing trend. These many years later and, ironically, it turns out she was right. Haha!
Soon as the internet gets blowed up right good, she'll be thanking you for getting those CDs lol.

Reactions: BATMON
That is a great question DougE DougE . But, quite frankly, I don't remember exactly which one it was. For some reasons I want to say it was The Who - Quadraphinia on vinyl.

Reactions: MJB05615 and DougE
Back when I was a teen, I would buy albums on vinyl and play them once. Then record them to cassette to play in the car. The albums were my Master when the tapes wore out. In car audio, the Pioneer - Super Tuner was the receiver/deck of choice back in the day for rural areas because of it's FM signal sensitivity. A pair of 6x9" Jensen's in back window was pure heaven.

Last edited:
I was set up to record right off the LP, so I did the same.

First one, I really didn't buy it. I temporarily borrowed it from my sister, and that would be Grand Funk - LIVE. One of these days I'll give it back to her.

Chris

8 Track, hard to remember may have been CCR Been so long ago I am sure the sun was shining though lol

Frankie was still a thing when I was growing up, but more among our parents' age group.
That's true. I was the only one in my Peer group that liked Sinatra over the Groups from the 60's + 70's. My Parents were a little older than my friends' Parents. First non Sinatra I got was The Beatles Let it Be.

Paranoid is an excellent album. I've seen others refer to it as the greatest album of all time. Dark Side of the Moon is classic, I went to that concert in 1975. Rubber Soul is another classic, of course. My opinion changes with the turning of the decades but right now I'd have to go with Led Zeppelin before they started numbering them. Vinyl.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky