IDevice IGrill2 Thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Whats the logging interval for the charts?  Does it take a data point every 30 seconds, every 5min?  Someone said 2min but can you change that?  Every 30 seconds would be neat so I can really see the high and the lows of the overruns. 

Also, can you save to PDF the chart from the iDevices app?

Whats the logging interval for the charts?  Does it take a data point every 30 seconds, every 5min?  Someone said 2min but can you change that?  Every 30 seconds would be neat so I can really see the high and the lows of the overruns. 

Also, can you save to PDF the chart from the iDevices app?
You can change both the notification and widget refreshes to anywhere from 1 second to 60 seconds.  Idevices connected is the app name.  I turned on my igrill2 to tinker and try to find what you are looking for to make sure I give you the right information.  As far as I can see idevices connected app only lets you export a JPEG of the graph or CSV spreadsheet.  What dirt sailor posted earlier is an example of the jpeg.  Except you can change how you view the probes with a simple touch of your screen - so you can get an image of the graph.  

I have attached both documents to show you how they work.  The picture is DIFFERENT than the CSV file. I forgot to share my test to my email, I only exported it.  But you can still see how it works.  I shared my pic the same way dirt sailor did his.  All you do is touch that probe and it will change how it displays.  In the CSV file, I only had the probe on for 6 minutes and you can see there is a lot of data saved.  The refresh rate for the graph is 3 seconds.  So REALLY specific.  I have noticed in 1 spreadsheet that I tried to turn into a graph, that for long cooks the igrill2 (and maybe the mini also) throws out an outlier.. some number that's WAY different than the pattern.  I don't remember how often this occurs.. maybe once every 15 or 30 minutes?  To export, just click on the graph - it will blow it up larger - at the bottom it will say 'more' - select export - it will give you options on where to send it.  

The particular spreadsheet I was working with I think was a brisket or pulled pork.. so 8-9 hours divided by 3 seconds = A LOT OF NUMBERS!  to sort through.  I'm not a regular excel user though so I forgot how to chart the data easily, and how to remove the outliers with a shortcut (I know it can be done).  

Gavin

So it looks like if you want accurate data and an accurate chart, you really need to export to a CSV, remove the outliers, and create a nice looking chart.  That's a pain.  I was hoping you could export to a jpeg that would have all of that taken care of already! 

iGrill really needs to sort that out.  They should have an algorithm where you export a CSV to their server directly in the app, they process it, and email you nice JPG of the chart.  That would be a win.

Essentially yes, and I do agree it would be nice if they did have something like that.  Though for now the current graph does what I want and have the time to look at big picture things. Mostly use it with my offset charcoal smoker and only big roast cuts or a whole bird.  My electric I'm lazy sometimes and know how far off that gauge is to understand its temp readings, without the probe.  I will say they have come a long ways with the app.. Like I mentioned in an early post the widget capability is fairly new - implemented just a few months after lots of feedback from customers.  I'd suggest giving them a call maybe and ask them about the exporting.. and maybe hint that suggestion to them and see what they say.  I talked to one of them once because I was having a slight technical error with my bluetooth connecting.  Nothing major.  Even leaving a comment on the app in the play store or app store might get some kind of look, who knows.  

As far as the other app goes that you are referring to, I have not used it before.  I've downloaded it a couple times on my s5 but it simply won't work so I had to delete it. 

I have the original iDevices iGrill 7685-IGLK Grilling/Cooking Barbecue Thermometer with two probes.  When it works ... it works great.  My biggest complaint is that like any other electronic thermometer the probes go bad and are $25 each to replace.  It's takes a while to get used to the software application on the iPhone.  When it is working (with good probes) the device is wonderful with great features.  I will wait until they have perfected the probes before I move up to the iGrill2.

I just found these pics.  I wasnt able to get in on this deal.  Keep calling Sams and email them.  They may decide to stock it at your store. 

Sam's, we don't have no stinking Sam's!

On another note I left my iGrill2 on for two days straight. Oops! On a good note I just used it to cook some chicken and it worked just fine. I have done this several times now. The original iGrill would have ate the batteries down to nothing in that time frame!

Sam's, we don't have no stinking Sam's!

On another note I left my iGrill2 on for two days straight. Oops! On a good note I just used it to cook some chicken and it worked just fine. I have done this several times now. The original iGrill would have ate the batteries down to nothing in that time frame!
so I use a galaxy 4 do you know if the igrill would actually work with that or anything but a iphobe?

Are they planning on releasing one that coqmnects to your WiFi so you can keep tabs on it wherever you go? Similar to many thermostats out there. Just wondering how far out there that is if I can wait for that or get this model.

Well, here's the good, the bad and the ugly on these things.
I love it for what it is, but I hate it for what it could be. What do I mean buy this? For as much as it costs and as much as it can do, it's the little things that let it down. I needed mine in a hurry so I bought it locally, $160 and change with an additional meat probe and the ambient probe. Here's a trick for those of you thinking about getting one, go to the idevices store, put the igrill2, a meat probe and the ambient probe in your cart. Go to check out and enter code "smoke" and you can get it all, with free standard shipping for $125 to your door. Now that's out of the way.
I've done two smokes so far, first one went great, but I was always within 15ft. Second smoke I was in and out of the house, 30ft? It kept disconnecting, sometimes I could close the app and get it to connect, other times I'd have to shut the unit off and start all over again. Frustrating! I pretty well knew this would be an issue, four walls between the smoker and the kitchen, but I'd hopped it wouldn't be this bad. Not sure how it's going to be in the winter months!
Second complaint, yes it's minor, but I think it's worth noting. After two smokes the colored sleeves for the probes, they are pretty much all the same color. I've tried lightly washing them, they are a pain to get off and on, and try not to get the end of the probes wet!
So in a nutshell, I'm still on the fence. I don't give a rip about the graphs, or "trending" pics with the app, I just didn't want to have to keep track of two additional things when I already carry a phone all the time.
If you want the graphs and to geek out and impress your friends, it doesn't get much cooler than this unit!
If range is important and you just want something that works, get two Mavericks and be happy carrying around two more pieces of gear.
I hope this helps someone else in their decision.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky