My first Coppa...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MeatCharter

Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
I'm trying my hand at some charcuterie. I've had some experience with bacon (currently have a maple espresso batch going), pastrami, corned beef, ect... even some cheesemaking, but this is my first go at dried meats for charcuterie.

First on my to-do list is a Coppa, then I'll move on to some salami. Expensive hobby as it sounds like I'll need some cultures, molds, PH meter, sausage stuffer, casings, ect...

For the Coppa, I had a butcher cut it out of the shoulder of Duroc pork breed. A little pricey at $8.99/lb but I figure if I have to wait ~3 months for something, I rather know it's quality meat. Maybe hoping to find a cheaper way moving forward.

My curing fridge setup is a PRO 40 Steakager. I also put a pan of Potassium Chloride slurry to help keep humidity up, and so far it has helped going on the readings this past week. I chose Potassium Chloride because it's obviously food safe, and some on those list weren't, and also it seems to be in the 80% range which is where I'd like to be.

Screen Shot 2024-06-10 at 10.28.05 AM.png

I'm following pretty much the recipe here:

I included some ground fennel. Also, instead of the Calabrian powder, I'm using a Aleppo Ground powder which I really like. Not as spicy, and a bit fruity.

PXL_20240610_173451809.jpg

I'm flipping every day. It's been in there for a couple days, and I'll probably go another 8 days (?), then wrap in a Dry Aging Sheet, net, and then hang. Hopefully I don't poison anyone with my new hobby, and hope I can learn from all of you!

I'm trying my hand at some charcuterie. I've had some experience with bacon (currently have a maple espresso batch going), pastrami, corned beef, ect... even some cheesemaking, but this is my first go at dried meats for charcuterie.

First on my to-do list is a Coppa, then I'll move on to some salami. Expensive hobby as it sounds like I'll need some cultures, molds, PH meter, sausage stuffer, casings, ect...

For the Coppa, I had a butcher cut it out of the shoulder of Duroc pork breed. A little pricey at $8.99/lb but I figure if I have to wait ~3 months for something, I rather know it's quality meat. Maybe hoping to find a cheaper way moving forward.

My curing fridge setup is a PRO 40 Steakager. I also put a pan of Potassium Chloride slurry to help keep humidity up, and so far it has helped going on the readings this past week. I chose Potassium Chloride because it's obviously food safe, and some on those list weren't, and also it seems to be in the 80% range which is where I'd like to be.

View attachment 698670

I'm following pretty much the recipe here:

I included some ground fennel. Also, instead of the Calabrian powder, I'm using a Aleppo Ground powder which I really like. Not as spicy, and a bit fruity.

View attachment 698671

I'm flipping every day. It's been in there for a couple days, and I'll probably go another 8 days (?), then wrap in a Dry Aging Sheet, net, and then hang. Hopefully I don't poison anyone with my new hobby, and hope I can learn from all of you!
Great item to start with, I did the exact same recipe, bless that Eric!
I also did his calabrian pepper tenderloin, love that one.

I do like the dried coppa. But I will admit... on like my 3rd one, I got tired of waiting, and just tossed it into smoker for 15 hrs at 160 or such to 145 IT. Cherrywood smoke for 7 hrs or so. Mmmmmm... so good. We decided we like the results about as much as we liked the long dried coppa, and it makes a great bacon too. So I stopped doing the looong dry cure on coppa. But I do still do it for tenderloins. Here is some smoked coppa from 2 weeks ago.
20240530_190546.jpg
20240529_164558.jpg

M MeatCharter
P.s., I didn't mention, but your chart for humidity over saturated solutions is very interesting. I hadn't seen this method before, only over sodium acetate or something. The KCl looks good at 80%.
What's funny there though, is the "Natrium Chloride" silliness, otherwise known as SALT, sodium chloride. At 75% RH, it also seems optimal and cheap. Wonder why they didn't run salt up to 60f like others? Clearly salt is the easiest and cheapest logistically, and 75% RH is solidly in correct region...

My chamber was built per Eric at 2guysandaCooler specs also. But originally a side by side, and the freezer cooling mech of a freezer fridge, with fridge only cooled via high flow air fan from freezer, doesn't play well with on/off single parameter temperature controllers. Currently apart, looking for a beverage fridge to replace.

M MeatCharter
P.s., I didn't mention, but your chart for humidity over saturated solutions is very interesting. I hadn't seen this method before, only over sodium acetate or something. The KCl looks good at 80%.
What's funny there though, is the "Natrium Chloride" silliness, otherwise known as SALT, sodium chloride. At 75% RH, it also seems optimal and cheap. Wonder why they didn't run salt up to 60f like others? Clearly salt is the easiest and cheapest logistically, and 75% RH is solidly in correct region...

My chamber was built per Eric at 2guysandaCooler specs also. But originally a side by side, and the freezer cooling mech of a freezer fridge, with fridge only cooled via high flow air fan from freezer, doesn't play well with on/off single parameter temperature controllers. Currently apart, looking for a beverage fridge to replace.
Yeah, I went with the KCI because it was a bit higher humidity. At ~55 degrees it should be about 86 degrees humidity which ~10 degrees higher than normal sodium chloride, and KCI is also food safe as it's used in a product called Nu-Salt which is a salt substitute. I wasn't sure how well any of the salt slurries would help, but I figure at like $10 bucks it was worth the shot, and based on my graphs for the last week, it's been useful.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky