I wanted to try, " Bacon on a Stick " so here it is

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada

First , thanks to everyone for the input as I was concerned about the meat to bone ratio. I did a search and I was not the first to ask this.
I used my recipe for the way I make my Back Bacon, Per pound of meat = 4 teaspoon Brown Sugar, 11/2 Teaspoon Kosher salt, and 1.13grams of Cure#1

I was also tossed about the salt, but said what the truck, just do it. Cut the rack of ribs in half, so it would fit the zip bags. Weighed both pieces and mix my ingredients for each one seperate. Rubbed it into the ribs than added into the bag with all the mix
that belonged to that section.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Into the fridge for 48 hours , flipping and messaging every 12 hours or so.

48 hours = remove, rinse off all the cure mix, slice and do a fry test, This is where I was worried about using the salt with the mix. But it was good, not salty at all. I was shocked
place in a tub of ice water for 1 hour, dry off and into the fridge for the night to get the pellicle, I only lightly coated with black pepper

Into the smoker set at 225 with hickory and mesquite , for approx,2.5 hours, than into a foil pan with pineapple juice and brown sugar for 1.5 hours , than back on the racks for last hour

4.JPG

5.JPG 6.JPG
7.JPG

These were very good, a little too tender for me, as they were hard to cut. But in all fairness I did not let them rest at all,
because they were getting wet from me drooling on them :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_smiling_imp:

Thanks to all and I followed Bearcarver Bearcarver 's recipe that I printed off, well used as a great guideline. Thank You John

Now to be fare I will do this again, but I also want to try it with a brine like Pop's that I also printed off

Thanks for looking , I know I am long winded , and I like pictures lol

This is a must do, and the other 3 people here have the dirty faces to agree to that

David

This is something ive always wanted to try... How was the flavor? Did you get bacon flavor? Or more of a ham flavor ?? Either way I need to try it. Cured pork is just plain delicious!

First , thanks to everyone for the input as I was concerned about the meat to bone ratio. I did a search and I was not the first to ask this.
I used my recipe for the way I make my Back Bacon, Per pound of meat = 4 teaspoon Brown Sugar, 11/2 Teaspoon Kosher salt, and 1.13grams of Cure#1

I was also tossed about the salt, but said what the truck, just do it. Cut the rack of ribs in half, so it would fit the zip bags. Weighed both pieces and mix my ingredients for each one seperate. Rubbed it into the ribs than added into the bag with all the mix
that belonged to that section.
View attachment 518119 View attachment 518120 View attachment 518121

Into the fridge for 48 hours , flipping and messaging every 12 hours or so.

48 hours = remove, rinse off all the cure mix, slice and do a fry test, This is where I was worried about using the salt with the mix. But it was good, not salty at all. I was shocked
place in a tub of ice water for 1 hour, dry off and into the fridge for the night to get the pellicle, I only lightly coated with black pepper

Into the smoker set at 225 with hickory and mesquite , for approx,2.5 hours, than into a foil pan with pineapple juice and brown sugar for 1.5 hours , than back on the racks for last hour

View attachment 518122

View attachment 518123 View attachment 518124
View attachment 518125

These were very good, a little too tender for me, as they were hard to cut. But in all fairness I did not let them rest at all,
because they were getting wet from me drooling on them :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_smiling_imp:

Thanks to all and I followed Bearcarver Bearcarver 's recipe that I printed off, well used as a great guideline. Thank You John

Now to be fare I will do this again, but I also want to try it with a brine like Pop's that I also printed off

Thanks for looking , I know I am long winded , and I like pictures lol

This is a must do, and the other 3 people here have the dirty faces to agree to that

David
I used Pops Brine with great success on my bacon on a stick.Stick.. glad to see open minded people willing to experiment!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That. Looks. Incredible!

Hang on a second, I need a paper towel… I just drooled on my phone🤣

OK I’m back… Great job on these and great pictures!

Looks great man! This is on my to do list too. Do you think overly tender was just finish temp or perhaps the pineapple as pc farmer pc farmer mentioned! This is something I’d like to serve at a holiday family gathering as it’s unique. Great job!

Looks darn good.... Nicely done! I am planning doing the same as soon as I see ribs on sale in my local supermarket!! :emoji_wink:

Thanks Push for the like and the comment

It was good , ribs were on sale here the other day ( Thursday ) limit of 10 at $1.77 lb, it has been cheaper than that so glad I still have a couple racks left in fridge

David

They look delicious! I've only made them once and loved them...well what I got of them anyways, my son might have inhaled quite a few by himself!

Ryan

• Haha
Great color on those. So if I'm reading this right... you did not adjust your curing blend to compensate for bone weight? And did you peel the membrane?

Thanks Thirdeye for the comment

No that is right. I did ask and I did get a few different answers , and I searched also and the same came up with different answers.
So I just said to my self ....self, just do it like a ham that has a big bone in it.
Weighed the piece and did my math as if it was just my Back Bacon
I normally peel off the membrane , but this time I did not. They might have been even more fall apart if I did. I am just not sure . So that means I will have to do it more often to get it right.

David

This is something ive always wanted to try... How was the flavor? Did you get bacon flavor? Or more of a ham flavor ?? Either way I need to try it. Cured pork is just plain delicious!

Thanks Travis for the comment
It was more of a ham flavor, but very good, and I thought it would be too salty but I was very surprised no more than my normal bacon which is very nice .

David

Reactions: Sowsage
I used Pops Brine with great success on my bacon on a stick.Stick.. glad to see open minded people willing to experiment!

Thanks Charlie for the like and the comment

I love to try new and different things ( as long as it is something I would normally eat , lol)
I have tried it this way and will do it again , but the next batch in a couple weeks will be in a brine ( Pop's as I already printed it off )
I want to compare the 2 different ways.

David

That. Looks. Incredible!

Hang on a second, I need a paper towel… I just drooled on my phone🤣

OK I’m back… Great job on these and great pictures!

Thanks Jeff for the comment

It's ok if you bought the drool proof phone, costs more but worth it....lol

I know it smelt and tasted great. but most smoked food does,

Thanks I do love taking pictures of the food, even if Mona tells me to stop and eat,
and to think I make fun of the selfie girls always taking pictures

David

Looks great man! This is on my to do list too. Do you think overly tender was just finish temp or perhaps the pineapple as pc farmer pc farmer mentioned! This is something I’d like to serve at a holiday family gathering as it’s unique. Great job!

Thanks Jeff for the like and the comment

I am thinking it was from the pineapple juice because that is really the only thing other than the 48 hour cure I did different on the ribs , and I have done a few racks of ribs, a few different ways. Normally use just a spray of apple juice.
Or could it have been the 48 hour cure , I will find out on the next round.......because this will happen

David

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky