I need a little Tech Support! Anyone know how to fix this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
I have a tech question...I'll PM a Mod or Admin if needed, but thought I'd ask in case anyone else around here has dealt with this.

I recently got a new desktop CPU in my office that is running Windows 7 (my old machine was running one of the versions of XP...but I don't really remember which version).

Here is my problem: since i installed the new machine, I can no longer see the Forums text editor when posting replies or new threads here at SMF. All I have is a box for typing text....I can't change fonts, add emoticons, photos, embedded video, etc., because that stuff just isn't there anymore.

Anyone know if there are some settings I need to change to get those functions back when posting replies or threads?

TYIA for any help...

Red

If you go to "My Profile" at the top and click on Edit Account Details you will see an option for checking your "Preferred editor" under the Forums heading.

Make sure it is set to Rich Text Editor.

I have that problem at work... Its due to an older version of windows.........

If you go to "My Profile" at the top and click on Edit Account Details you will see an option for checking your "Preferred editor" under the Forums heading.

Make sure it is set to Rich Text Editor.

Thanks Jeff, but that's not it...my setting is already for Rich Text Editor...that's the first thing I checked.

Red

Last edited:
Ok.. I just wanted to check the easiest thing first and go from there.

A couple of further questions..

What browser are you using and have you tried any other browsers?

Can you post or send a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Ok.. I just wanted to check the easiest thing first and go from there.

A couple of further questions..

What browser are you using and have you tried any other browsers?

Can you post or send a screenshot of what you are seeing?

The browser I am running is Chrome, but I have also tried opening SMF in Internet Explorer, and it looks the same.

I don't know how I can post a screenshot without the editor. I think I figured out how to save the screenshot, but then it occurred to me that I don't have the editor to attach the pic in my post.

Red

Red,
I have the same problem at work, and I am not a techie either when it comes to PC's and networks, I had a IT friend at work tell me that it is because the text editor is an imbedded image and that the IT people when upgrading to Windows 7 chose to filter out all imbedded images in the browsers for security reasons. If you can try lowering the security settings in IE or Crome don't know if it work or not. Like I said I am not a techie and he may have been blowing Thick White Smoke up my nethier regions!!
Keep Smokin!!!
Wolf

Thats whats up at my job...... One computer got updated to windows xp for a few months and everything was working fine. IT found out the wrong windows version was on the computer and re installed the older windows version and it quit working again......

Hey Red, I have an iPad... Are you having the same issue on the iPad ?
Hey Justin!  Nope...just on my computer at the office, and only since I got a new machine with Windows 7.  My home machine and my tablet are still good.

Red

Ok my friend, can we ask Jeff or some Admin what is needed to fully view the site ? I know someone mentioned Java Script, you said you have that.... So your new computer IMO is either missing some software needed to get them tools or has something installed that is possibly blocking it... Last night in the preferences with my iPad, I tried to activate & deactivate several things & different combinations of things & could not get the tool your talking about to disappear.... I have a good friend that is also a computer & software guru, I can ask him his opinion as well if need be....

icon14.gif
I've used my laptop with Win7 on it all this time.  Works fine.  I'll do some banging around in Chrome and the security settings in the OS and see if i see anything that may cause that.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, Guys...I'll do some more experimenting, but I suspect that Wolfman may be on to something, and it could network filter issue imposed by my IT people. If that's the case, I'll just have to live with it and do my qview posting from the home machine or the tablet.

Thanks again for all the help!

Red

Does anyone know how to take setting off Celsius and set on Fahrenheit. Master forge side table thermometer

Hey Red

I had the same problem for a couple of months.  My laptop behaved the same as yours, but my Iphone worked fine.  Tried different browsers--tried everything with no success.  Then I restored my laptop to an earlier date, and everything was good to go.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what the problem had been, had to have been some change made at some time after that restore point.  Maybe see if this will work for you.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky