Pork loin tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Made up some of the sauce noboundaries noboundaries posted the other day . Here's the thread .
20220531_153746.jpg
That got me thinking Tacos . Had a section of pork loin that had the light and dark meat in it , and a nice fat cap . I cut it into 2 " cubes and used a couple TBLS of A C Leggs Chorizo seasoning I had in the pantry . Covered the cubes and held in the fridge for a few hours .

This was a last minute thing , so the instant pot got the call .
Set to meat / stew . High pressure 35 minutes . Natural release .
Came out perfectly tender . That chorizo mix works great for taco meat .
20220531_165944.jpg
While that was going on I mixed up some masa on pressed out
some corn tortillas .
20220531_164818.jpg 20220531_171005.jpg
Hot cast iron . I got some to puff up , others didn't .
20220531_170816.jpg
That tortilla warmer or something to hold them in is key .
Damp paper towel , they come out perfect .
20220531_175610.jpg
Had some corn cake mix . Uses a can of cream corn .
Good stuff .
20220531_173111.jpg
Mix it up and bake it off .
20220531_173301.jpg
Smelling good in the kitchen .
Pork shredded up , Pretty much fell apart .
20220531_175616.jpg
Spread some of the noboundries sauce on the tortilla .
Pork , green onion and some Tillamook cheese .
Didn't need anything else .
Mexican rice , scoop of the corn cake and some nachos .
Simple but good eats .
20220531_183147.jpg
20220531_183143.jpg
The chorizo on the pork had great flavor and that sauce goes great with this .
noboundaries noboundaries Ray the sauce really made this . Nice work on that bud .
Thanks for lookin .

A fantastic cook start to finish Rich, I'd be all over that dish! Love your tortilla press, nice job! RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Damn that’s a nice plate of tacos I would certainly devour Rich! Great idea using the IP to make quick work out of the pork loin.

I still use the heck out of the tortilla press that you sent me, it’s pressed a lot and still going strong. I thank you again.

Your the man Rich. That meal looks fantastic. Even more so given that it was done spur of the moment.

Point for sure
Chris

OMG Rich, you don't do anything half assed do you. What a meal down to every detail. I am sure with your skills you also made that press?

A fantastic cook start to finish Rich, I'd be all over that dish! Love your tortilla press, nice job!
Thanks Ray . Appreciate that . Try the sauce , it's really good .
Damn that’s a nice plate of tacos I would certainly devour Rich! Great idea using the IP to make quick work out of the pork loin.
Thanks Joe . The IP makes great taco meat .Awhile ago I had a 1 1/2 pound hunk of brisket flat I saved . Decided to see what it took to make it tender in the IP . 50 minutes at high pressure , natural release . Seared first then add some beef stock . No seasoning .
It came out tender enough to cube . My Son tasted it and said " that would make great tacos . " That's how it started . Try it if you have an instant pot .
I still use the heck out of the tortilla press that you sent me, it’s pressed a lot and still going strong. I thank you again.
I wasn't using mine much , but recently have started again . The fresh corn tort's are addicting . That warmer is key .

Those look great Rich! For a quick throw together meal you nailed it.
Appreciate that John . Most of the work was in the tortillas . It's a meal that really hits the spot .
Your the man Rich. That meal looks fantastic. Even more so given that it was done spur of the moment.
Thanks Chris . There's some good Mexican places close by . I started to notice how simple the stuff was . Seasoned meat and some simple veg on a homemade tortilla . That's it . So good .

HECK YEAH! Just put the Leggs chorizo in the am cart. Once again ahead of me. Just got me an IP for this sort of thing. What's your take? There is some debate that IP make things more tender but others say it's just speed. I HATE pulled loin from the crock...

Looks great Rich
Thank you Jim .
OMG Rich, you don't do anything half assed do you.
Lol . I try not to . Wasn't always like that though .
What a meal down to every detail. I am sure with your skills you also made that press?
It was good Cliff . If you like the corn flavor , get some Masa flour at the store . I used it to make pancakes the next morning . With the taco meat mixed in the batter . 50 / 50 Masa and AP flour .

I did make the press . I saw Joe was making his own tortillas and that got me thinking .
The one I use is the prototype , but have since made improvements .
Shorter handle and just rubber pads instead of elevated feet .
20200817_162245.jpg
Then instead of doing one at a time , I roughed out each part in multiple . That way I only had 1 setup per part . Also stopped doing the accent stripe That saved a glue up .
20201018_143834.jpg
Next thing I knew I had a table full . Lol .
I actually used a store bought corn tortilla as a " spacer " to install the hinges . Thought it was to thick at first , but it's perfect really .
20201025_194803.jpg
Thanks for the interest and the comments .

HECK YEAH! Just put the Leggs chorizo in the am cart.
Thanks Sam . There's something about that seasoning . It comes out on the dry side when linked up . Great flavor . I've made adjustments , but think it's the salt content is low .
You can kind of see what I mean .
1654271033688.jpeg

That being said , it's great cut up or left in bulk .
I use it for fajitas and wraps .
1654271172943.jpeg

The wraps were really good . Cold crunch of the peppers and stuff .
1654271257560.jpeg

Just got me an IP for this sort of thing. What's your take?
It's awesome . Just got to learn it . My daughter makes a killer cheese cake in it . Fantastic . I have 2 .
There is some debate that IP make things more tender but others say it's just speed. I HATE pulled loin from the crock...
I say both . My opinion is more tender for sure .
Shredded loin from a crock pot is on my do not patronize list .

This is WAY better . I could have left it as chunks . Like I said , this section of the loin had the nice dark meat on it too . Plus a nice fat cap .

Reactions: zwiller
Wow! That is an awesome “last minute” meal! I think your handmade tortillas would be key to keeping all those great flavors elevated. I’ve become a tortilla snob. Are you selling those extra presses? I’d be interested! Great cook Rich!

That's great work Rich! Love how you just threw it together! Can I get one bigger tortilla...then I can ditch the plate and wrap it all up as one! I just threw some lunch together as well...Ritz crackers with easy cheese and a side of coleslaw lol.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky