How to cook thin porterhouse steaks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQ Bird

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Hi All,

For a holiday gift I got a few prime porterhouse steaks from Kansas City Steaks. Pretty sweet, however, this issue is that they are no more than 0.75 inch thick. When it comes to steak, I usually buy thick cuts (1.5 to 2.5 inches) and reverse sear them to medium rare. I'm not sure how to cook these without overcooking the tenderloin, while still getting a good sear on the outside. I already cooked a couple on a Weber gas grill, and they got overcooked (little past medium) trying to develop some grill marks. They're so thin, using a probe thermometer is not really usable.

Right now, I'm deciding between two methods:

1. Cut the steaks off the bone and cook independently. I would probably just quick saute the tenderloins and make a pan sauce, and maybe use the strip steaks to make fajitas.
2. Leave steaks whole, season with salt and let sit in fridge uncovered so exterior dries out, then sear immediately after removing from fridge (do not bring to room temp). I just got my Gravity Series 800 up and running and can sear at 700 degrees.

Any opinions on which way to go? Any ideas that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks.

Reactions: negolien
TIL that 3/4" steak is "thin". :emoji_laughing:

Honestly, you can never go wrong with the reverse sear. This route allows you to get that perfect internal, along with a beautiful crust, with minimal overcooked "grey". The MBGS is all the tools you'd need to accomplish this. 225 until internal is 5-10 less than your anticipated finish temp, remove to rest while you ramp up the GS to 700. Then sear that bad boy!

Reactions: BBQ Bird
Thin steaks are tough. My typical go-to is your option 2: sear as hot as possible and let it rest.

I like to fill up my charcoal chimney and let it get real hot. I put a grate over the top of the chimney and then cook like I'm on a grill... a very super hot grill. Once I get a good sear, I let it rest to bring up the IT to a medium rare for me.
Takes a little practice to know when to pull, but I usually pull at about 8-10 degrees of my target temp.

Burn the outside and leave the inside raw.
Two minutes max on a HOT fire.
To me anyway, that's a T-Bone, not a Porterhouse.
The definition pretty much says it has to be super jumbo thickness.
(I know, it's where on the beast it comes from, not the thickness).

Reactions: BBQ Bird
Thanks all. Sounds like the 2nd option is the way to go. It might be a week a two before I cook these. I need to do some low and slow first with my new smoker. I'll let you know how they turned out.

I would whip out the torch and flame them for a few seconds after the smoke step. 3/4" would be easy to overcook on a pan (at least for me).

I would keep them whole - just reread your post. if not RS them, just a very fast sear on a CI - VERY FAST.

You and your vortex... ;) Same as my chimney method, but way fancier with more cook space.

Not really much difference between the 2 Tucker, until you turn the Vortex wide side up! Ah, then a third of a chimney dumped in will get the job done, nice hot coals but not spread just on the bottom. Did a thick fillet mignon steak that way last night, came a perfect rare- medium for me, but these fillet steaks are flavorless, never again, ribeyes or T-bones for me.
DSCN2828.JPG

Not really much difference between the 2 Tucker, until you turn the Vortex wide side up! Ah, then a third of a chimney dumped in will get the job done, nice hot coals but not spread just on the bottom. Did a thick fillet mignon steak that way last night, came a perfect rare- medium for me, but these fillet steaks are flavorless, never again, ribeyes or T-bones for me.
View attachment 486383
That is a mighty fine looking steak though. I'll have to look into the vortex for my Weber. I used to have a slow n' sear, but that got left with my other Weber back in Tucson. At least a buddy of mine is getting good use out of it.
I agree, a well marbled and perfectly cooked ribeye has significantly more flavor than the lean filet... but it is so hard to beat the tenderness of a good filet. Ah... these are good problems to have.

What is it with meat providers? Yeah yeah I know the price/lb thing but really? Even when I go to some butcher's and specifically ask for a 1 3/4" to 2" cut I get quizzical looks as to why in the heck would you want that. Sheesh... are there really that many people who are ignorant in regards to grilling a worthy steak? - rant over, back to more coffee :D

This might be worth a try via sous vide. Would have to play a bit with temp depending sear method ... maybe 115* then a screaming hot cast iron skillet Very briefly?

What is it with meat providers? Yeah yeah I know the price/lb thing but really? Even when I go to some butcher's and specifically ask for a 1 3/4" to 2" cut I get quizzical looks as to why in the heck would you want that. Sheesh... are there really that many people who are ignorant in regards to grilling a worthy steak? - rant over, back to more coffee :D
Short answer: Yes.
Most people unfortunately have grown up with the packets found in a grocery store that are 3/4"... Then when it comes time to grill it, by the time they get the good and tasty Maillard Reaction on the outside the steak is "done and dry" on the inside. Then they go to a Ruth Chris or whatever and spend huge bucks on a 2" steak and wonder why it's so much better than they do at home...

I think the thread started here by BBQ Bird BBQ Bird is worthy of it's own topic, cooking a thin steak is not something a reverse sear or standard grilling is good for, and as all of the experts here have attested... HOT HOT HOT and rest is the way to do a thin steak, probably could look at SV, but with the internal temp already up do you have enough time to get enough of the Maillard Reaction? Probably not, I dunno.

Yeah, my rant is over now too. Thanks for getting me started...

I've only experienced that maybe twice, the rest of the time it's exactly the opposite.
Smiles, nods, comments of approval or asking how I'm going to cook it.

Not saying I don't know how to grill a 3/4" steak. Unfortunately there have been many times the greater family has got together and I'm presented by the generosity of others a 'package' of steaks to grill for the group. Luckily, my grill is capable of a very hot sear so a minute or two per side and if they're thick enough, there's leeway to put the cross marks on one side for presentation. Pull quickly and let rest. Most of the time they're med-rare. 😀

chilerelleno chilerelleno , yup depending on which butcher I'm at, some definitely acknowledge my request for 2" cuts and also ask how I'm planning to prepare. Only reason to go to the 'others' is because of the type of meat & availability etc... at least they oblige and cut it they way I want it! 😇

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky