How much trim from full packer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mastercaster

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 15, 2017
Dogwood City, TX
I'm getting ready for my first brisket smoke this weekend. Brought home a prime full packer and trimmed according to what I’ve learned on here...left a 1/4” more or less on cap. Also trimmed some of the hard fat from the top, including where flat meets the point. Pre-trimmed weight was 14.9 lbs and I ended up with 4.5 lbs of trimmed fat. Is it normal to trim 1/3 of total weight off or could I have over-trimmed? Still had quite a bit of fat left on it, in my unprofessional option. I forgot to take pics of finished trim job or would’ve posted them. Any help appreciated.

It sounds like your about right on your trimming. Kinda disheartening to trim that much off. But when the finished project is right on point you forget all about it. Good luck with your smoke this weekend

It sounds like your about right on your trimming. Kinda disheartening to trim that much off. But when the finished project is right on point you forget all about it. Good luck with your smoke this weekend

You are on point with your trimming. Save and freeze the tallow (hard fat) for bologna's.

Its amazing how little product you truly end up with after trimming and then cooking.

Thanks Greg and Perazzi (fine shotguns BTW. I thought I had it trimmed correctly, thanks for confirming. We’ll see how it goes this weekend.

I'm getting ready for my first brisket smoke this weekend. Brought home a prime full packer and trimmed according to what I’ve learned on here...left a 1/4” more or less on cap. Also trimmed some of the hard fat from the top, including where flat meets the point. Pre-trimmed weight was 14.9 lbs and I ended up with 4.5 lbs of trimmed fat. Is it normal to trim 1/3 of total weight off or could I have over-trimmed? Still had quite a bit of fat left on it, in my unprofessional option. I forgot to take pics of finished trim job or would’ve posted them. Any help appreciated.

Hi there and welcome!

Sounds correct to me.
Also think about trimming the end of the flat portion so what is left is basically uniform thickness of the flat. This will help avoid burning up the thin end of the flat. Check out what I mean by the image below.
I just put the good trimmed meat in a foil pan under the rack where the brisket is sitting, the juices collect and braise the good meat I throw in there. That meat either becomes nice soft meat or burnt end consistency.

Best of luck! :)

Reactions: chilerelleno
I try to get most of the fat off of my briskets, and if you have a smoker with more than one rack then put the fat you trimmed on a rack above the brisket so it will render & drip on the brisket keeping it basted. It makes a big difference, cause the brisket is self basting while you are in bed sleeping. Here is a photo of what I'm talking about. This isn't all the fat I trimmed, but plenty for basting.

full

Just put it right on top.

full

You can see how much the fat has rendered down & how juicy the brisket is.

full

Hope this helps!
Al

Jeez AL thanks for making us all hungry with those pictures lol I think I might have drooled a little on my keyboard

Nice usage of the fat there Al.

I have been saving mine to make my ground Venison Pastrami sandwich meat loaves. I think your approach is awesome for anyone not making sausage with beef fat :)

Lots of good ideas here.

I like render most of the trimmed fat to fry cubed point (after it has been smoked) until the bits are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. These crisps are my wifes favorite part of a brisket smoke.

For any trimmed meat, I'll grind some fat with the meat to make burgers while the brisket is cooking.

I'll agree with everyone else. 25-30% weight in trimmed fat is about the norm.
I recently got a full packer for corned beef and pastrami that started out close to 20 pounds that weighed in a tad under 14 pounds after trimming.

Walt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky