How much food to smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rlmstock2006

Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Hey guys and gals.....need some help!

I am smoking for a friend's wedding.

100 people

Ribs
Brisket
Sausage

I have the smoker to handle the job.

I am trying to eliminate wasted meat to keep the cost down for him.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

rimstock, I try to aim for 1/3lb of meat for each person...that's with three sides, bread and dessert.

Any leftover smoked meat can be thrown in the freezer too. :)

Just remember that you need to consider the finished weight...not the starting weight. A 15 pound brisket doesn't end up a 15 pound brisket.

I prefer to go 1/2 lb per person unless there are bones and then it's 3/4.

Do you have a list of how many people want what to eat? Like maybe on the RSVP's? Figure maybe a half slab of ribs per person. Maybe the 1/3# briskit as suggested.
I'm not a caterer though. Just some stuff I've seen here. I want to see the smokers in action.

I would go heavy on the number of ribs like about 10 full racks I would cook them then serve as single ribs not as half racks (less mess for guests). For the sausage I would make a sausage Scallopini 20 lbs of sausage with the peppers and onions with the red or white sauce will be perfect. and I would do a 25 brisket (you will lose some weight when cooking) that you slice thin that way you can control the amount being served. Remember for a buffet put the best and least amount you have as the last dish by the time the guests get to it their plates are already full and you don't have to worry about running out (little hint from the business).

Good luck. If you need I can give you a recipe for an easy sausage scallopini.

here is a rough recipe for the scallopini

20-30 lbs of sausage. Cut sausage into 1-2 inch pieces.
20 red bell peppers remove stem and seeds. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
15 onions. Take skin off cut in half and cut in 1 inch pieces as well.
5-6 garlic cloves minced.
1 1/2 cup Red wine
3-4 cans of Crushed tomatoes
Basil
Oregeno
Salt
Pepper
Sugar

In a stock pot saute sausage until brown
Add peppers and onions cook until tender (if sausage is sticking to bottom reduce flame)
Add garlic cook for about 5 minutes or until garlic browns.
Add wine, Crushed Tomatoes, sm handful of oregeno, sm handful of basil
Salt and pepper to taste
Add some sugar to taste as well you want to be able to taste the tomatoes and have a little bit of sweetness I would suggest about a 1/4 cup.

Cook this for about 2hrs on a low flame the longer you cook it the the sauce will reduce and the flavors will be more flavorful.

Hope this works out for you have a good one.

Kratos - your recipe is awesome, and I've added this to my upcoming list of food to present to my co-workers. There's only one place I've tried this dish and I LOVED the red sauce mixed in with all the veggies.

Thanks again for posting the recipe!
biggrin.gif

no problem with the recipe if you don't like the red sauce don't put in the cans of tomatoes and just add a few cans of chicken broth.

Enjoy.

rimstock,
I figure 1/2 lb of uncooked meat per person. How about 3 briskets, 12 to 15 lbs of sausage, and 7 slabs of ribs. Put your meat last in the serving line and have someone serve the ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky