how i plan on making my rows

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Waco, TX
here is how i plan on making my rows. anyone see any problems with this? imagine each name is a row, top is left row, bottom is right row. also there will be room between each row for walking thru garden.

garlic
serrano chili
sweet onions
anaheim chili
garlic
jalapenos
okra
cascabella (a pepper)
squash
sweet banana peppers
little dipper bell peppers
green onions (scallions)
big dipper bell peppers
tomatoes
watermelon

Hi Chris ,
I was looking over your garden lay - out and I see maybe a problem with the squash and the watermelon in with the other plants. Squash and watermelons are both viney plants that need a lot of room to grow. There vines will over run plants that are to close to them , and they need to be planted in hills . How big is this garden ??

it is 30' x 35', take or add a few inches. how would you make your rows, if it was your garden? i know i need to put something between the peppers, hence why i planned it like that.

Chris ,
That is a big garden for 2 people + baby ! Are you going to plant one type of plant per row or plant different types of plants in the same row ? How long are your rows ? Some plants bear many fruits per plant so you don't need that many plants . With that size of garden you should designate one area for squash and watermelon away from the rest of plants .

Chris

Here's a great option for a small space and it looks nice to. I switched to it about 10 years ago when I hurt my back and I'll never go back to rows.

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

i planned on one type of plant per row. that is a neat idea, debi, but i want a regular garden, in rows. i have plenty of fertilizer (fiah tank water, ashes). how about watermelon and squash in their own areas, with rows for the rest? i tilled a big area to make sure i had enough. i don't have to plant the whole area i tilled after all. if one row is going to be too long, i was thinking of starting the row on one end with one plant, and starting the other end with another, providing they both are compatable with each other. keep in mind this is my first garden, plant to harvest. also, i only bought one seed package of each one. so i am thinking my rows shouldn't be all that long either.

the onions are bulbs; and the garlic is bulbs, it says to break them into cloves and plant them. the rest i am starting from seeds.

Chris I have been around gardens all my life now my garden is about the size of yours but on the pepers I would start with plants if you want to use seeds I would start them now in small containers so you will have plants to use in the garden the melons and squash may vine over 1/2 of that area and out in the yard our growing season is alot different here so the plants (seeds) may be ok if planted early hope this helps

You can use straw, grass clippings (so long as you mow your grass before it goes to seed), feed bags, visqueen, and any number of other covers to control weeds between the rows. We use feed bags and top them with straw between the rows, then heavy straw around the plants. I till it all in, in the fall, then I'll dress with chicken and bunny poo, wood ash, and compost and till again in late winter and let rest for a month.
We use row covers in early spring to help keep the young plants warm on the cold spring nights, and then switch to mosquito netting loosely draped over the green leafy plants to keep the butterflies off.

Instead of making a row out of a single type of plant, ex: bell peppers, I use to make 2 or 3 shorter rows and that helps with pollination. That is why when you see corn, there are several row, but shorter rows.

EX: if you were going to put in 20 plants in a single row, make 4 rows of 5 plants, the first two rows can be closer together, then a wider row to walk down, then the second 2 rows.

I hope that makes sense....

Just my input.

Bill

bill, makes sense to me. i planted it all last night. will report back when i see signs of life. i made short rows, and put garlic on some of the rows, and sweet onions on some rows. i made sure there was something between the garlic and onions, i assume they can cross pollinate. my only really long rows are garlic, sweet onions, scallion onions, and okra. i planted the watermelon in one corner, and squash in one corner- both on one end. i left a big space between them and also between them and the rest of the garden.

Chris,

Please do. And let me know how it does. I think you will like it... I sure did. I started out doing the long single rows. Then the more I read, and the more I planted, the more I learned. Don't forget to make your own compost.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky