Hot Sauce 101

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bill ace,

I’ve kept bottles for almost a year. It has a lot of vinegar in it. I know people I’ve given them to who keep them over a year. And yeah i tell everyone to refrigerate them.

Scott

Braz,

Make some hot sauce!! You won’t regret it!

Scott

Stan,

Come on out!! Your always welcome! I’ll keep a few bottles for you!

Scott

Dr K,

I hear yah! My Habo and ghost plants were loaded! And I had like 8 Habo plants! I always use the hot sauce bottles because I give them away. But those clear squeeze bottles work great if it’s not just for home use.

Scott

Sonny,

I hear yah bud. We treat the girls like queens around here. You can’t name your place Wonder Dog Ranch if the Dogs don’t rule the roost. LOL.

Scott

LOL water rat!

We call them sky rats around here.

Scott

Lol tom!

Ole Hoop, and Scout are pretty well trained. They get the job done and enjoy doing it.

Scott

Richie,

I grew one Trinidad scorpion plant this year. It didn’t do to well. Only produced 3 peppers. I froze them. Not sure what I’m gonna do with them yet.

Make some sauce with some of yours and let me know how it turns out!

Scott
Scott if you want some seeds please PM your address,I dried alot fro real ripe peppers.
Richie

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
My ingredients, methods and results are very similar. You beat me by a mile on the labels.

One lesson I learned is, if you mix red and green pods you get a brown sauce. If you stay with only red or only green pods for a particular batch of sauce, you get a distinct red or green color.

Edited to add, thanks for making the effort to post all that narrative and images. Isn't it fun to compose a how-to like that?

Blue,

Yeah the colored peppers and fruits you use and mix give you your color. I usually mix my fruit and peppers based on taste but also a second thought is color. I did a great pineapple ghost last year that was a great yellow/orangish color. Great flavor too!

The 13 ghosts turned the ugly shade of tan because I used a few jalapeños & a few green peppers with the orange and red hots. It was something I could have avoided by using red or orange bell peppers but it’s what I had left from the garden. And when I saw it I kinda liked it. This sauce is ugly! It deserves to look ugly to!

Side note to the 13 ghosts sauce: we had our annual pumpkin party at the farm today where a hundred or so families come and the kids pick pumpkins from the field. I brought a bottle of 13 sauce and hurt a few people. It’s not killer on the front but them ghosts don’t go away. They linger and hurt.... lmao!

Scott

Blue,

Yeah the colored peppers and fruits you use and mix give you your color. I usually mix my fruit and peppers based on taste but also a second thought is color. I did a great pineapple ghost last year that was a great yellow/orangish color. Great flavor too!

The 13 ghosts turned the ugly shade of tan because I used a few jalapeños & a few green peppers with the orange and red hots. It was something I could have avoided by using red or orange bell peppers but it’s what I had left from the garden. And when I saw it I kinda liked it. This sauce is ugly! It deserves to look ugly to!

Side note to the 13 ghosts sauce: we had our annual pumpkin party at the farm today where a hundred or so families come and the kids pick pumpkins from the field. I brought a bottle of 13 sauce and hurt a few people. It’s not killer on the front but them ghosts don’t go away. They linger and hurt.... lmao!

Scott
Aww hell yer making me wanna try it now.

Tom,

trust me you want nothing to do with 13 ghosts. I don’t know why anyone would want anything to do with this stuff. But i know a few who do.

Scott

Tom,

trust me you want nothing to do with 13 ghosts. I don’t know why anyone would want anything to do with this stuff. But i know a few who do.

Scott
I'm crazy. I mean I've eaten crazy spicy food before. There's a part of me that just wants to prank people with it too. Though I know guys who think Scotch Bonnets qualify as 'fairly mild'

That brown 13 sauce would be perfect for spiking a pumpkin pie filling. Like if you use maybe 1/4 teaspoon, maybe less, in a whole pie filling. Or maybe a batch of pumpkin cookies. It would take a few seconds to start to kick in, and then it would be a glow without overwhelming the other flavors.

Or, you could pour a whole bottle into the World's Largest Pumpkin Pie and cause a panic.

Habaneros are really good for that, but ghosts have a much longer sustain. For me anyway, habs take about 10 - 15 seconds to come on and then I'm lit for about 5 or 10 minutes.

When I was first getting used to them, it was like stepping through a portal I could sort of see the world, poorly through a blur of tears, but I was not actually in the world which you ordinary humans know. Ghosts take about the same amount of time to hit but they last as a mouth and lip burn for half an hour or so.

Funny story: There is a hot pepper festival in Madison, Indiana (over several years). One sauce maker had a table with sauces etc., and as a teaser he had a plate of THE BREAD which was diced into 1/2-inch cubes. Some boys about 15 years old or so walked in all confident and when they came back out they had steam blowing out of their ears.

They appeared to be in a humbled condition.

Here we go, copied from the ChileHeads list:
-----

Ingredients
1½ cup Whole wheat flour
1½ cup White flour
½ cup V8 or similar veggie juice
½ cup Water
1 teaspoon Salt
1½ tablespoon Evaporated dried milk
1½ tablespoon Brown sugar
1 tablespoon Honey or sorgham
1½ teaspoon Fast rise auto bread yeast (2 tsp normal yeast)
2 tablespoon Butter
2 - 5 ounces Ground dried Red Savina™ Habanero, (If you've used the stuff, you know how insane this is...)

Preparation

(all wheat may be used, but not all white- the Savina (tm) seems to go good with wheat breads while white has too little flavor for it IMHO)

Heat liquid ingredients to about 100 F. Pour into cannister. Put in dry ingredients, yeast last. Set machine to desired finish. Done. I'll leave it to individuals to try and figure out how to adapt this to their own style of breadmaking. Like I said, this is for one of those auto bread machines simply becuase I don't know how to bake bread otherwise. If it ain't easy, I ain't got time to do it. I'm sure there are lots of different herb combinations that could be used as well.

Hope you all have fun with this! - ~Jim

Like for the great write up and post. I will take your word for it as to the tastiness of some of your suaces. Ultra hot just not for me. Might like some of those fruitier ones though. Looks like it must have been some hunt!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky