Hot Sauce 101

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Like for the great write up and post. I will take your word for it as to the tastiness of some of your suaces. Ultra hot just not for me. Might like some of those fruitier ones though. Looks like it must have been some hunt!
I'm already begging Scott for those fruit ones. I love combining fruit with heat like he did. Though ghost any thing seems a bit much to me...maybe I'm a whimp ;)

Blue,

Oh man I can’t imagine this brown stuff in a pumpkin pie.... lol! I could see trips to the emergency room!

Scott

Sorry tom not sending the sauce by mail. If you make the fattie contest next year I’m sure we will have some left.

Scott

You know I’ve just never done it that way. This is the way I was taught years ago and I’ve always done it this way. Maybe I’ll look into that next year for a batch or two. But no real reason as to me not liking it. Just doing what I’ve always done.

Scott

Nice write-up! I can feel the habanero hangover already just lookin at the pictures. I really like your process. I like simple. When I used to make it, I never boiled or cooked it at all. Just salt and garlic with enough vinegar in in blender to desired consistency. I think max potency and flavor was achieved that way. I think I burnt my whole system out now though... Too late. Then I finally matured enough to realize I don't have anything to prove like I did in my younger years

10-4... I've always fermented because it's traditional here in louisiana. Seeing your thread reminded me that I needed to pick red jalapenos from the garden and make sriracha. I just finished the mash, it's in the jar until the bubbles stop and fermentation is complete.
Kudos on the sauce, looks good, but too hot for even this ole coonass! LOL! Like.

Reactions: BDASPNY
Thanks brown!

I hear ya on the hot. I dumb my hottest peppers down with fruit a lot. I heard a few people I have sauce to tell me it wasn’t hot enough that’s why I made the 13 ghosts batch. It’s not for me.

Scott

Yeah it’s something I wouldn’t mind trying Inda. And like I said I’m not making crazy hot sauce for me. I’m too old for that myself. You definitely lose your ability to handle that stuff over the years. At least I did. You guys crack me up down there with your “coonass” references.

Scott

I've made Louisiana hot sauce with cayenne peppers and 1% sea salt and let it ferment for 3 years. That was a pretty good batch. Need to grow more cayenne and do that again.

I’ve never seen cayenne plants here inda. I’d love to grow them! Might have to do an online search for some seeds.

Scott

Cayenne is the pepper used to make Louisiana hot sauce while the tabasco pepper is used to make it's name sake-Tabasco sauce. Tabasco pepper is a little hotter than a cayenne.

I had to google Coonass when I first joined because of Foam. Now I have to explain to people why I mark some things down as 'Coonass version' or not..

Also Scott you aren't that much older then me!

How do you get habaneros to produce in your growing zone? I live in Montana, so similar zone but I have never
had any plants produce. They grow great but no fruit. Do you have a secret?

Cal

Finally ran across this man those sauces look great! I’ve always wanted to do it I think you might have just inspired me. We love hot stuff around here would love to try a sauce with the Carolina reaper pepper.

Nice Job, Scott !!
Great Pics!!
And Who Doesn't love Labs?!?!
Thanks for showing.
Like.

Bear

Appreciate it inda!

I used tape in the past as well or could just tell by color. Nice to have graphics guy around.

I definitely want to try Tabasco and cayenne seeds next year. I branch out a little more every year in the hot sauce department.

Thanks again,
Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky