Smokey Ghost Hot Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Wildfire move over Smokey Ghost says hold my beer! Awhile back I made a smokey sauce with fermented habaneros and superhots. It was pretty popular with the folks who tried it. I did have a few requests for
1000006210-01.jpeg
hotter version. This is it. Smokey Ghost is not for the faint of heart. 100% ghost peppers with a heavy smoke and hint of cumin flavor profile. A little goes a long way!. Ghost peppers from my garden fermented in a 3.5% sea salt brine for 3 months before making the sauce and then aged another 3 months before bottling. Other than on any good where extreme heat and smoke are desired this will be awesome mixed into bbq sauce to amp it up. Thanks for looking!

That's a nice looking bottle, I personally wouldn't have the guts to try something that hot but it does look good.

Reactions: jcam222
Now that would hit the spot. Nice job Jeff

Point for saucerer
Chris
Thanks Chris!
That's a nice looking bottle, I personally wouldn't have the guts to try something that hot but it does look good.
Thanks Jim. I liked that ghost pepper image the second I found it. This is on the very outside edge of my heat tolerance. I'll use it in bbq sauce
oh man you are killing me, I love your hab version I can only imagine using this
I know you loved the Wildfire. I'd say this is quite a bit smokier and a fair amount hotter
Oh man....My mouth is watering just reading this description!

Jim
Thanks Jim! It may create actually uncontrollable slobbery drooling when eating lol

Awesome Jeff, I’ll bet that is some tasty stuff! 👍
Thanks! Hoping your throwdown prize package of hot sauce and hot honey shows up today.

That looks great! Probably a tad too hot for me.
Thanks Steve! It's up there for sure.

I think that would peel skin from the mouth.

I fermented green and yellow Datil peppers and the results are pure fire. I was hoping to send you a bottle of each, but the rookie here pureed the peppers with the brine.
Help to recover the mash?

I think that would peel skin from the mouth.

I fermented green and yellow Datil peppers and the results are pure fire. I was hoping to send you a bottle of each, but the rookie here pureed the peppers with the brine.
It might make you think it's blistering lol. Oh yea I'd have been up for swapped by some sauces for sure. Have wanted to try Datil. I'm not clear on what the issue was? I blend mine with plenty of the brine and a little vinegar or other acid usually.......

Anytime I see you post hot sauce with gloves on my mouth waters and my eyes water too 😂
I've learned to respect the peppers! I wear gloves always from pepper prep on through to final processing! Some sauces I've donned a mask and goggles.

If you have to hold the bottle with gloves on, then it's TOO hot for me.
I do it for all of them but this one especially so!

oh, can't wait
It is like Wildfire on steroids. Much hotter and smokier, no hint of sweet in this.

I bet that's insane in the right amount . I need to jump back in and try something . I still have the stuff I made . Been sitting in the pantry . I did do a PH test on it last week .
4.3 makes me a bit nervous . I might be wrong on that number . I need to check it again .

Strain the mash out and spread it on some parchment , then dry in the oven . I used it to make a rub . Good stuff .
Carolina reaper / pineapple
20221105_122645.jpg

I bet that's insane in the right amount . I need to jump back in and try something . I still have the stuff I made . Been sitting in the pantry . I did do a PH test on it last week .
4.3 makes me a bit nervous . I might be wrong on that number . I need to check it again .

Strain the mash out and spread it on some parchment , then dry in the oven . I used it to make a rub . Good stuff .
Carolina reaper / pineapple
View attachment 686822
I hear you. I have pitched two ferments in the last couple years when it was that high. I've found that with the super hots I need to add a few meatier peppers to get a good ferment. I'll usually to see in a red bell or something similar. The superhots at 💯 have very little sugar with super thin walls.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yup . These were thin . I buy the " lunch box sweets " and add those in . I'm thinking that 4.3 is wrong . I thought it was in the 3's when I first did it . Problem is I'm not sure I trust my PH meter .
I'm gonna do so re-visiting , and probably be in touch for a refresher . Lol .

Reactions: jcam222
Again, your labels are great.
And I'd lay $50. that the sauces are better than the labels.
Thanks man! Hopefully they are at least as good as the labels! I have a local guy who gets sauce from me who's very picky on his sauces and likes it very hot. I use him, two of his friends and my best friend as my quality control guys. Just got a message from the pickiest of them " both the chili lime and the smokey ghost are your best sauces yet. I'll be buying both next week".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky