• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hot and sour soup.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Here is a soup I make often. It has a nice oriental flare to it. And it has a ton of pork and mushrooms. How can you go wrong with that!

P2260637.jpg
P2260639.jpg

2 pounds pork tender loin. Trimmed and sliced thin.
1 bunch green onions. Diced.
Can of diced water chest nuts
I usually add a small can of diced bamboo shoots. But store was out.
Here is where I go kind of off the deep end. 2 cans of straw mushrooms. 8 oz sliced portabella. And 8 oz. shitaki mushrooms.
8 cups chicken stock
4 eggs beaten
2 tbs corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup water.
2 teaspoons, or more. Sriracha Chili Sauce
1 tsp Pepper
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar. To start
1/4 cup soy sauce. To start

Start by browning the pork with the pepper added long enough to remove the pink. Then remove and drain pot.
Add 1 tbs olive oil. And add all the mushrooms and the diced water chestnuts.
Cook on med. until fresh mushrooms soften a bit. About 5 minutes.
Then put pork back in. And add the 8 cups of stock.

P2260642.jpg

Bring to a boil. Then reduce to simmer. And simmer for 10 minutes.
Then add the soy sauce, Sriracha Chili Sauce , and rice wine vinegar. Let simmer 5 minutes. Then taste for spices.
You'll notice I haven't added any salt to this point. I never have because the soy sauce adds enough salt for us. I have added soy sauce and/or vinegar in the past until I get the taste I want. You can add salt if you wish.
Bring back to a boil. And slowly stir in the eggs. Stirring constantly to get the nice strands of egg. Then add the green onions. Then reduce heat.
Let it simmer 5 or so minutes.

P2260647.jpg

Plated shot to follow. I'll have shrimp egg rolls with it, store bought.

Money shot!

P2260648.jpg

Last edited:

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
OMG...that looks and sounds absolutely decadent Steve. That is going on the to-do list right now.

Thanks for sharing,
Robert

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Only thing I don't think I like is the water chestnuts, rest of it sounds great, I really don't taste any flavor from the WC but I suspect they get put in a lot of times for the crunch profile. looks simple to make,I always thought I would like to be a cook if I could go back 40 years, work1 style of restaurant for a year or 2 then work at another same deal till I could cook what ever somebody wanted. probably take 20 years of moving around to get enuff learning to make a go of it on my own. wife wants me to start some kind of food catering business but it will have to wait till I retire. I'm to old to burn the candle at both ends lol

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Hot and sour soup is a favorite when I order takeout. I’ll have to try this.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
OMG...that looks and sounds absolutely decadent Steve. That is going on the to-do list right now.

Thanks for sharing,
Robert
Thanks Robert! I've also poured that over rice or glass noodles. And it is great that way too.

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
You ordering take out? That would be like me going to Golden Corral for a steak dinner :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Yes sir. Maybe once every two months, we’ll order Chinese or pick up sushi from Wegmans.

A large quart of hot and sour soup and an order of crab rangoon if you’re headed this way...and don’t forget my fortune cookie!

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Only thing I don't think I like is the water chestnuts, rest of it sounds great, I really don't taste any flavor from the WC but I suspect they get put in a lot of times for the crunch profile. looks simple to make,I always thought I would like to be a cook if I could go back 40 years, work1 style of restaurant for a year or 2 then work at another same deal till I could cook what ever somebody wanted. probably take 20 years of moving around to get enuff learning to make a go of it on my own. wife wants me to start some kind of food catering business but it will have to wait till I retire. I'm to old to burn the candle at both ends lol
There is flavor in the water chest nuts. But I do believe it is more for the texture as swell.

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Thanks Robert! I've also poured that over rice or glass noodles. And it is great that way too.
I was kinda thinking along the lines of won tons.

Off to the Chinese market,
Robert

Omnivore

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 11, 2019
I totally LOVE hot and sour soup but for some reason it's always seemed daunting to make so thanks for posting this! PS I like the idea of having it over glass noodles - I bet that adds another great textural component.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I totally LOVE hot and sour soup but for some reason it's always seemed daunting to make so thanks for posting this! PS I like the idea of having it over glass noodles - I bet that adds another great textural component.
Thank you! And you're welcome. The glass noodles work very well with this soup. I just don't add it to the soup though. I pour it over the noodles in a bowl.

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
The wrong with this is you didn't share any with your SMF friends.
Great looking soup Steve

Warren

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.