Hot and sour soup.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Here is a soup I make often. It has a nice oriental flare to it. And it has a ton of pork and mushrooms. How can you go wrong with that!

P2260637.jpg
P2260639.jpg

2 pounds pork tender loin. Trimmed and sliced thin.
1 bunch green onions. Diced.
Can of diced water chest nuts
I usually add a small can of diced bamboo shoots. But store was out.
Here is where I go kind of off the deep end. 2 cans of straw mushrooms. 8 oz sliced portabella. And 8 oz. shitaki mushrooms.
8 cups chicken stock
4 eggs beaten
2 tbs corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup water.
2 teaspoons, or more. Sriracha Chili Sauce
1 tsp Pepper
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar. To start
1/4 cup soy sauce. To start

Start by browning the pork with the pepper added long enough to remove the pink. Then remove and drain pot.
Add 1 tbs olive oil. And add all the mushrooms and the diced water chestnuts.
Cook on med. until fresh mushrooms soften a bit. About 5 minutes.
Then put pork back in. And add the 8 cups of stock.

P2260642.jpg

Bring to a boil. Then reduce to simmer. And simmer for 10 minutes.
Then add the soy sauce, Sriracha Chili Sauce , and rice wine vinegar. Let simmer 5 minutes. Then taste for spices.
You'll notice I haven't added any salt to this point. I never have because the soy sauce adds enough salt for us. I have added soy sauce and/or vinegar in the past until I get the taste I want. You can add salt if you wish.
Bring back to a boil. And slowly stir in the eggs. Stirring constantly to get the nice strands of egg. Then add the green onions. Then reduce heat.
Let it simmer 5 or so minutes.

P2260647.jpg

Plated shot to follow. I'll have shrimp egg rolls with it, store bought.

Money shot!

P2260648.jpg

Last edited:
OMG...that looks and sounds absolutely decadent Steve. That is going on the to-do list right now.

Thanks for sharing,
Robert

Only thing I don't think I like is the water chestnuts, rest of it sounds great, I really don't taste any flavor from the WC but I suspect they get put in a lot of times for the crunch profile. looks simple to make,I always thought I would like to be a cook if I could go back 40 years, work1 style of restaurant for a year or 2 then work at another same deal till I could cook what ever somebody wanted. probably take 20 years of moving around to get enuff learning to make a go of it on my own. wife wants me to start some kind of food catering business but it will have to wait till I retire. I'm to old to burn the candle at both ends lol

OMG...that looks and sounds absolutely decadent Steve. That is going on the to-do list right now.

Thanks for sharing,
Robert

Thanks Robert! I've also poured that over rice or glass noodles. And it is great that way too.

Only thing I don't think I like is the water chestnuts, rest of it sounds great, I really don't taste any flavor from the WC but I suspect they get put in a lot of times for the crunch profile. looks simple to make,I always thought I would like to be a cook if I could go back 40 years, work1 style of restaurant for a year or 2 then work at another same deal till I could cook what ever somebody wanted. probably take 20 years of moving around to get enuff learning to make a go of it on my own. wife wants me to start some kind of food catering business but it will have to wait till I retire. I'm to old to burn the candle at both ends lol

There is flavor in the water chest nuts. But I do believe it is more for the texture as swell.

I totally LOVE hot and sour soup but for some reason it's always seemed daunting to make so thanks for posting this! PS I like the idea of having it over glass noodles - I bet that adds another great textural component.

I totally LOVE hot and sour soup but for some reason it's always seemed daunting to make so thanks for posting this! PS I like the idea of having it over glass noodles - I bet that adds another great textural component.

Thank you! And you're welcome. The glass noodles work very well with this soup. I just don't add it to the soup though. I pour it over the noodles in a bowl.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky