Hot and Fast Ribs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BKING!

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 24, 2018
Talbott TN
Meat: 3 baby backs
Cook temp: 350 deg F
Cook duration: 1.5 hrs
Wood: 4 oz applewood
Rub: Jeff’s BBQ rub
Sauce: sticky fingers Carolina sweet
Cooking process: applied oil, then rub, no wrap, took ribs to 200 deg F internal for my preferred tenderness, then sliced.

1: The rub was the best I’ve had!
2: Tenderness was spot on!
3: Smoke was alright. Not like my stickburner though.
4: BBQ sauce was good and complimented the rub well. I haven’t tried Jeff’s sauce yet but if it’s anything like his rub I’ll love it!

FYI if you’re wondering why the 3rd picture looks weird it’s because I just sauced them lol

Attachments

• 8FB438F6-1E16-4652-AB63-E1D9BDC09E1E.jpeg
    8FB438F6-1E16-4652-AB63-E1D9BDC09E1E.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 134
  • A84B26D2-C2F4-4500-9696-4E94288D4579.jpeg
    A84B26D2-C2F4-4500-9696-4E94288D4579.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 134
  • A4585063-1753-4F23-B216-691FD55952EC.jpeg
    A4585063-1753-4F23-B216-691FD55952EC.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 502B4148-59CC-48B0-A7B2-29478D839701.jpeg
    502B4148-59CC-48B0-A7B2-29478D839701.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 141
Yeah Buddy! Looks great to me!

I'm a deviant, myself. I put my Rub in my Sauce, then turn and paint, baking it onto and into the racks.
I cut mine up like you did so folks can pick their chewin bones.

Well done! :D

Oh, and mine are usually ~ 1.5 hours, too. I just keep turning every 7-10 minutes, and painting, until they grow some caramelized finish.

Reactions: BKING!
Yeah Buddy! Looks great to me!

I'm a deviant, myself. I put my Rub in my Sauce, then turn and paint, baking it onto and into the racks.
I cut mine up like you did so folks can pick their chewin bones.

Well done! :D

Oh, and mine are usually ~ 1.5 hours, too. I just keep turning every 7-10 minutes, and painting, until they grow some caramelized finish.

How is the bark when painting that frequently. I like the idea of applying layers of flavor but I’d figure the bark would never set. Also at what point do you start painting them?

I agree on the slicing too. Turns them into nice and easy to handle party food! Also helps with portion control.

Looks delicious!! I do hot and fast but not that hot...have to give it a try....Like!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks! I’ve never done them this hot either. I was planning a 300 deg cook but you know kamados... sometimes they get away from you. This one more than usual. I suspect since it was a short cook I didn’t get burning. Also I must add that I calibrated my thermometer with boiling water so it’s reading dome temp and not grate temp. I suspect grate temp is closer to 325 deg F. I’m not a believer in a magic temp anyway as long as it’s not so hot that the sugar in the rub burns. I used to stress out so much about maintaining 225 deg. God forbid if the smoker drops to 200 deg or rises to 250 deg lol

Last edited:
Ribs look good Bking. I never tried ribs at 350* that's a 100* over my normal of 250*.

Point for sure.

Chris

Ribs look good Bking. I never tried ribs at 350* that's a 100* over my normal of 250*.

Point for sure.

Chris

Try some hot and fast cooks. I haven’t seen any difference in outcome besides the meat being a little less smoky. Only real difference is it takes less time. I got off work early one day and did a pork butt and it was done by 8pm! 4 hour cook in total. Only warning is for certain cooks you can’t go by internal temps like brisket and pork butt. If you normally pull butts at 200 deg internal be prepared to pull it off at 210 deg internal hot and fast. Always go by probe tenderness. Most people that do hot and fast fail for that reason and blame the technique. On these ribs I did the were 200 deg internal and had a little tug on them. Low and slow 200 deg would be closer to fall off the bone.

Attachments

• 3E212ECE-4CD0-4FD3-869D-33BBA0D634E8.jpeg
    3E212ECE-4CD0-4FD3-869D-33BBA0D634E8.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 110
  • CD6C80F9-43F3-48D8-B980-D0BBBE77F3FB.jpeg
    CD6C80F9-43F3-48D8-B980-D0BBBE77F3FB.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 99
How is the bark when painting that frequently. I like the idea of applying layers of flavor but I’d figure the bark would never set. Also at what point do you start painting them?

I agree on the slicing too. Turns them into nice and easy to handle party food! Also helps with portion control.

It builds and builds. That's why I can't definitively say ribs @ O'clock. Might be ready sooner, or might be ready later.
But typically the grill is running 325-350°. Towards the finish line the temperature starts to rise, I think because the moisture is going down. But I shoot for two hours, and usually come in under that mark. Shrug.
But we all know our grills have to be learned, and results can vary. I just developed my method over time. On my Gas Burner. I've had gas burners for a long time now.

Trouble is... I've been told to NOT mess with my ribs. The family likes them as they are. :(:mad:
I dug myself in a hole and can't get out. :rolleyes:
I won't trespass and hang a picture in your thread, but mine look like this here. Hopefully...

I had a fire last year that pretty near wiped out 6 full racks, in halves. It was too much on my grill. Lesson learned. :(
Folks ate them, and said they liked them. But I was embarrassed to serve blackened ribs. :oops: No time to start over with fresh ribs, I cleaned them up, sauced them up, finished them up, and hauled them to the grand daughters B'Day party.
If she never asks again, I'd understand. But she still loves her Papa...
Sometimes the Bull wins... :eek:

Reactions: BKING! and bdskelly
BBQ sauce was good and complimented the rub well. I haven’t tried Jeff’s sauce yet but if it’s anything like his rub I’ll love it!

Myself and a few others actually like the sauce more than rub...

WRT to hot and fast. Cantonese char siu is done hot, no smoke either. Might consider this way but I have a good thing going with smoking one day and grilling another. Regardless, I really like the effect of high temp caramelization on ribs.

Reactions: SonnyE and BKING!
They look tender! Funny how my techniques vary over time since I started this thread. I’m always trying new stuff. I still do hot and fast but not all the time and I’ve modified how I go about it for the better now.

Reactions: SmokinLogs
Those look fantastic. My technique changes over time too. I’m still trying some different things. I haven’t ventured a lot into hot and fast, but I do have some baby backs in the freezer waiting. Maybe they can be my first hot n fast ribs. Good job on the cook!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky