Homemade Smoked Lunch Meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

navionjim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 16, 2007
Houston Texas
I haven't seen Deejay Debbie around for a while (where the hell is she anyway) but she was doing great things with lunch meat a while back. She had some fancy caseins she used that I don't have, I was thinking of the netting / sockenett concept and just wondered if those Costco boneless skinless thighs couldn't be brined, seasoned, sprinkled with gelatin, then wrapped tightly in cheese cloth and smoked?

I just got my new Weston 10" slicer yesterday and I'm planing on firing up the homemade smoker I just acquired for the first time this weekend for a test smoke. I figured I'd do something simple like a fatty and maybe some ribs, but it would be great to smoke something I could slice too. I don;t have a fancy netting machine but I think I could get a pretty tight wrap with cheese cloth, roll it up sort of like a fatty and twist the ends. The smoke should penetrate the cloth and I'm thinking and the gelatin would stick it all together for slicing once chilled.
Has anyone tried anything like this before?

Jimbo

Oh wow Ken... I can't imagine why, she was a wealth of good information. Too bad
Jimbo

I was wondering where she has been also. And I havent seen hawg heaven for a while either...when I check their profiles it says deleted. Are people being banned from this site?

I just go to my local butcher where i buy my casing and he gives me a netting he uses for ham and that works great

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky