‘It’s Not Rocket Science:’ Getting More Women to Embrace the Grill -- WSJ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City

From the Wall Street Journal.​

‘It’s Not Rocket Science:’ Getting More Women to Embrace the Grill

In fact, its so easy a caveman can do it .............. and they actually did. So why can't a woman grill ?

Mrs Okie and I went to a local barbecue joint for lunch today, Edge Craft Barbecue. And she commented how almost all the customers were men. And there were only two women in the place, maybe 50 men. We surmised that barbecue must be a male thing.

Then I find this article after we get home.

BTW, here's the excellent platter of " Texas Trinity " we had today at Edge Craft. That's three meals for us. The brisket is fatty, smoked on a 1K Primitive Pits smoker with post oak wood. The sausage is Oaxaca cheese and its delicious. I love the sweet charred Brussel sprouts. And the pickles and pickle onions were best I've had, wish I could make something close to them.

Edge Craft Mar 14 2024.jpg

I follow a ton of women on instagram that grill/smoke/bbq and turn out some great stuff. Here in Memphis they do/did have the Memphis in May bbq contest. Lots of all women teams. Not to mention that we have Memphis BBQ Co restaurant that is owned by Melissa Cookston, a heavy hitter in BBQ.

Jim

I follow a ton of women on instagram that grill/smoke/bbq and turn out some great stuff. Here in Memphis they do/did have the Memphis in May bbq contest. Lots of all women teams. Not to mention that we have Memphis BBQ Co restaurant that is owned by Melissa Cookston, a heavy hitter in BBQ.

Jim

Definitely. Mrs Okie is as involved in my grilling and my smoking, as I am. We work as a team.

I think the WSJ's target audience is east coast, specifically NYC . And this article is probably applicable in there.

I also think they have no idea what people are like in fly-over country. They don't know what we do.

But there's women in barbecue everywhere. Heck, those reality bbq shows are filled with women.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky