• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Homemade Mozzarella, it's so easy! Plenty of Q-view!

stubshaft

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 12, 2011
Great looking mozz there Al.  Thanks for the post I always wanted to try my hand at making cheese.

smokeamotive

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2009
Great post Al. Went into the to do list. Pasturized is ok, just not "Ultra" Right? Theres a resturrant here that makes Mozzerella at tableside. Wonder how they manage without it taking longer than serving the regular meal?!!

shortend

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 7, 2008
Wow Al, your blowin' us away again! That money shot of the mozz with the ripe tomato slices, basil leaves and infused olive oil is incredible! I gotta try that. How do you think raw milk would work for makin' Mozz? My office manager is a dairy farmer, and I can get all the raw milk I want. They just can't sell it that way. Just stupid Gov't overreach as usual. It's a lot safer than the FDA would lead you to believe. Today's Dairy farmer is subject to incredibly stringent safety standards. Almost to the point of absurdity. I grew up as a kid on raw milk. We didn't have anything near the standards that they have now, and I'm still kickin'. It was great stuff. Hmmm, nothing like a glass of good, warm, fresh from the cow, milk. I still remember that horrible tasting milk in the little bottles that they made us drink at lunch when I went to Kindergarten!

ShortEnd

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Wow Al, your blowin' us away again! That money shot of the mozz with the ripe tomato slices, basil leaves and infused olive oil is incredible! I gotta try that. How do you think raw milk would work for makin' Mozz? My office manager is a dairy farmer, and I can get all the raw milk I want. They just can't sell it that way. Just stupid Gov't overreach as usual. It's a lot safer than the FDA would lead you to believe. Today's Dairy farmer is subject to incredibly stringent safety standards. Almost to the point of absurdity. I grew up as a kid on raw milk. We didn't have anything near the standards that they have now, and I'm still kickin'. It was great stuff. Hmmm, nothing like a glass of good, warm, fresh from the cow, milk. I still remember that horrible tasting milk in the little bottles that they made us drink at lunch when I went to Kindergarten!

ShortEnd

Yes you can use raw milk, but I think you have to heat it to 140, so your basically pasteurizing it yourself. The recipes suggest if you can get un-homogenized milk that's the best.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Great post Al. Went into the to do list. Pasturized is ok, just not "Ultra" Right? Theres a resturrant here that makes Mozzerella at tableside. Wonder how they manage without it taking longer than serving the regular meal?!!

Yes pasturized is OK. 

fpnmf

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 19, 2010
Looks great Al!!!

No new hobbies for me today.....but that does look like some tasty cheese..

Craig

gorilla

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 22, 2011
I had to order some supplies after reading this post. Thanks Al!! I've always wanted to try this. 

smokingohiobutcher

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 21, 2009
Oh yeah thats Great!!! Like I need 1 more thing thats stuck on my mind till I get it done!

AL.........YOU S**K!!!!! 
         No not really, just kidding!  Thanks for the awesome post!

Going to the top of the list! 
  Now Where did I put that list?.....?

SOB

smokingohiobutcher

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 21, 2009
AAAHhhhhhh....Found the List!!  Just got confirmation of my order ....the rennet,citric acid and cheese cloth are on their way!

Dang you Al!!!!

Thanks Again!

SOB

saugeyejoe

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 24, 2010
Al,  I followed your recipe and made this last night..... Excellent.  Thanks for the recipe.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Al,  I followed your recipe and made this last night..... Excellent.  Thanks for the recipe.

It's amazing how easy it is to make, and as you know you can't beat the flavor & texture.

teeznuts

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 18, 2011
You inspired me Al! Just bought rennet tabs and citric acid tonight. Actually found both in the baking isle of a grocery store. Dying to try this.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
You inspired me Al! Just bought rennet tabs and citric acid tonight. Actually found both in the baking isle of a grocery store. Dying to try this.

Once you try it your hooked for life!

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 4, 2011
Gonna have to try making some.  I never really knew how it was made before reading your post. Cool.!

tasunkawitko

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 27, 2008
WOW! looks great, and i love the step-by-step ~ makes it easy to follow!

a great post, and outstanding-looking cheese!

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 4, 2011
I swear Al....If I have time this weekend I want to make his.    ,,,,and then put some Thin Blue Smoke on it.    Way way way cool post!

Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
We can't stop making it, now were starting to experiment with adding some herbs to it. Basil is real good, so is oregano.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 4, 2011
We can't stop making it, now were starting to experiment with adding some herbs to it. Basil is real good, so is oregano.

I bet thats true !  oooo,,how about a few fresh chives or red pepper....I see it now  : Als Specialty Mozzarella ....new business venture.  heh, ya never know....
   I think is way to cool you learned how and shared it with us.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.