Homemade Mozzarella, it's so easy! Plenty of Q-view!

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by smokinal, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Great looking mozz there Al.  Thanks for the post I always wanted to try my hand at making cheese.

2. smokeamotive

smokeamotive Smoking Fanatic

Great post Al. Went into the to do list. Pasturized is ok, just not "Ultra" Right? Theres a resturrant here that makes Mozzerella at tableside. Wonder how they manage without it taking longer than serving the regular meal?!!

3. shortend

shortend Meat Mopper

Wow Al, your blowin' us away again! That money shot of the mozz with the ripe tomato slices, basil leaves and infused olive oil is incredible! I gotta try that. How do you think raw milk would work for makin' Mozz? My office manager is a dairy farmer, and I can get all the raw milk I want. They just can't sell it that way. Just stupid Gov't overreach as usual. It's a lot safer than the FDA would lead you to believe. Today's Dairy farmer is subject to incredibly stringent safety standards. Almost to the point of absurdity. I grew up as a kid on raw milk. We didn't have anything near the standards that they have now, and I'm still kickin'. It was great stuff. Hmmm, nothing like a glass of good, warm, fresh from the cow, milk. I still remember that horrible tasting milk in the little bottles that they made us drink at lunch when I went to Kindergarten!

ShortEnd

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yes you can use raw milk, but I think you have to heat it to 140, so your basically pasteurizing it yourself. The recipes suggest if you can get un-homogenized milk that's the best.

5. smokinal

Yes pasturized is OK. 

6. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Looks great Al!!!

No new hobbies for me today.....but that does look like some tasty cheese..

Craig

7. gorilla

gorilla Fire Starter

I had to order some supplies after reading this post. Thanks Al!! I've always wanted to try this. 

8. Nice

9. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks AWESOME AL!

10. smokingohiobutcher

smokingohiobutcher Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Oh yeah thats Great!!! Like I need 1 more thing thats stuck on my mind till I get it done!

AL.........YOU S**K!!!!! [​IMG]          No not really, just kidding!  Thanks for the awesome post!

Going to the top of the list! [​IMG]   Now Where did I put that list?.....?

SOB

11. smokingohiobutcher

smokingohiobutcher Master of the Pit OTBS Member

AAAHhhhhhh....Found the List!!  Just got confirmation of my order ....the rennet,citric acid and cheese cloth are on their way!

Dang you Al!!!!

Thanks Again!

SOB

12. saugeyejoe

saugeyejoe Fire Starter

Al,  I followed your recipe and made this last night..... Excellent.  Thanks for the recipe.

13. smokinal

It's amazing how easy it is to make, and as you know you can't beat the flavor & texture.

14. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

You inspired me Al! Just bought rennet tabs and citric acid tonight. Actually found both in the baking isle of a grocery store. Dying to try this.

15. smokinal

Once you try it your hooked for life!

16. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Gonna have to try making some.  I never really knew how it was made before reading your post. Cool.!

17. tasunkawitko

tasunkawitko Master of the Pit OTBS Member

WOW! looks great, and i love the step-by-step ~ makes it easy to follow!

a great post, and outstanding-looking cheese!

18. hoity toit

I swear Al....If I have time this weekend I want to make his.    ,,,,and then put some Thin Blue Smoke on it.    Way way way cool post!

Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

19. smokinal

We can't stop making it, now were starting to experiment with adding some herbs to it. Basil is real good, so is oregano.

20. hoity toit

I bet thats true !  oooo,,how about a few fresh chives or red pepper....I see it now  : Als Specialty Mozzarella ....new business venture.  heh, ya never know....[​IMG]    I think is way to cool you learned how and shared it with us.