Home cured ham recipe...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Below is a method I put together for making a ham in 6 ish days... I have received reviews from "Awesome ham" to "the best ham I have ever tasted"... YMMV but they come out pretty tasty... I have started using "vegetable stock" for the injecting liquid... STPP keeps the meat moist... If you have any questions, I'm here.... somewhere... Dave

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/ham-from-fresh-picnics-update-10-21-money.236375/

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/in...shoulder-into-a-ham-9-13-update-money.233988/

Phosphates are the most effective water holding agents.
Salt and most water binding agents force meat protein to swell which helps them trap and hold more water. Phosphates are able to open the structure of the protein which helps them to hold even more water. This increased water holding capacity of the protein is what prevents water losses when smoking and cooking.
Phosphates are the strongest water binders and protein extractors and all commercial producers use them. Most countries permit 0.5% of phosphates (5 g per kilogram of meat). Today, the whole meat industry operates on this principle, inject the maximum allowed amount of water and make sure it does not leak out.

3. Adding water, salt and phosphates.
When phosphates are used alone they are less effective, but when applied with salt they force meat to bind water in a formidable way. They accelerate the salt effects allowing the same results to occur sooner. In other words the combined action of salt and phosphates is greater than the combined efforts of salt and phosphates if used individually. Around 0.3% phosphate is a typical dose. The maximum allowed is 0.5% but note that they are quite bitter and adding more than 0.3% may affect the product’s flavor. Phosphates commonly used in making meat products are: pyrophosphates P2O74- and tripolyphosphates P3O105-. An important function of phosphates is their ability to accelerate the extractability of meat proteins. This leads to a uniform, interwoven matrix which entraps water and fat during comminution and holds it together during heat treatment. To increase and accelerate the distribution of a salt and phosphates solution within meat the physical action is employed. This is accomplished by massaging or tumbling machines designed for this purpose.

Marianski, Stanley. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages (Kindle Locations 293-301). Bookmagic LLC. Kindle Edition.

Marianski, Stanley. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages (Kindle Locations 2717-2719). Bookmagic LLC. Kindle Edition.

... Dave

Last edited:
I can vouch for this way of curing a ham. I did one and it was the best tasting ham I have made I think.

Thanks for the help Dave.

Reactions: daveomak
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-without-injecting.269402/page-2#post-1777825

Bobjr21w
The ham tasted awesome, my youngest sister said it was best ham she ever had, she took home half of the leftovers off of it, I used a little to much pickling spice in it, I really didn't care much for that, that was the only thing that I deviated from DaveOmak instructions from the previous post if you go back and read them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky