Canadian bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slavikborisov

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
Got a pork lion brining. I left little
Bit of fat as I like it ….

Followed SmokinEdge SmokinEdge method 10% water 1.5% salt .75% sugar .25% cure 1 …. I added SE .05% and California ham spice at .2% …. Got everything injected as evenly as I could 10% water wasn’t as much as I thought it would be for this 7lb loin….. I covered it and in the fridge for 2 weeks ill smoke it to
Fully cooked and cut it up for deli meat.. be back in 2 weeks
ABEEC22C-1EFF-4CCF-9D1A-379F2CBCCCA5.jpeg

Got a pork lion brining. I left little
Bit of fat as I like it ….

Followed SmokinEdge SmokinEdge method 10% water 1.5% salt .75% sugar .25% cure 1 …. I added SE .05% and California ham spice at .2% …. Got everything injected as evenly as I could 10% water wasn’t as much as I thought it would be for this 7lb loin….. I covered it and in the fridge for 2 weeks ill smoke it to
Fully cooked and cut it up for deli meat.. be back in 2 weeks View attachment 683694
I was looking at loins the weekend on sale to cure but didn't like what I seen. You will have plenty when this is finished.

Reactions: slavikborisov
That looks fantastic! Really nice work. And yes that recipe is money.
Just to make sure I understand this method correctly is the loin submerged in the brine with 10% of the meat weight injected?
I've always dry cured my loin bacon and the majority is cold smoked only. Do you think this method would improve loin bacon that is cold smoked or is it for hot smoked ready to eat deli meat?

Just to make sure I understand this method correctly is the loin submerged in the brine with 10% of the meat weight injected?
I've always dry cured my loin bacon and the majority is cold smoked only. Do you think this method would improve loin bacon that is cold smoked or is it for hot smoked ready to eat deli meat?
No submersion in brine. This is 10% the meat weight in either water or no salt broth, then 1.5% the meat weight in salt, .25% in cure #1 and .75% in sugar all dissolved in the 10% liquid then all of that injected into the meat piece on a 1” grid to cover the whole piece. Cold smoke is fine as is hot smoke, that would be the same with dry rubbed as well, I do both.

Reactions: slavikborisov
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky