higher risk for heart attack ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
three years ago at age 62 i had a heart attack ,
when i told the Doc how much smoked meat i normally ate , i though HE was going to have a heart attack ,
so where do we draw the line as to how much we consume ? the amount the Doc said i could eat wouldn't feed a small mouse ,
as for you young fellas, you probably never think of such things but maybe you should and start now limiting the amount you consume

I dont see this as an easy question to answer. I feel there is are many factors that affect our health besides what we eat. Family history of heart issues, activity levels, cholesterol levels etc....I guess those that the biggies that come to mind.

i'll admit to cutting back , but nowhere near as much as the Doc said i had to but as BBQers i would seem that as a group we do consume more than the ave. person

You can also look at what meats you smoke. You can lighten up on the pork and other fatty cuts and head toward leaner cuts. Also poultry and fish can be a good addition to the menu

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
its a decision we all have to make , we all love the meats we cook ,and we all take risks every day . its hard to fathom that what we eat today might just be what kills us in 10-20 years . even now its not likely i would have changed anything because i like most, never gave it any though that i would get old and it would catch up with me
anyways its just food for thought

ya know , if we did everything the Docs said , life wouldn't be any fun at all !!!
when i met my wife , i quit chasing woman , stopped drinking in my mid 30s but i'll be danged if i will give up my ciggs , coffee and meat ...these things might not be good for me but a mans gotta have some pleasures in life !!!

Reactions: MJB05615
Went for the blood tests and got the cholesterol levels. Doc said the bad cholesterol numbers were acceptable, but the good cholesterol numbers were off the charts. Total cholesterol, of course then was high. Triglycerides was acceptable.

I looked at him and started laughing. He asked what's so funny. I told him, almost every Sunday I eat a 1 pound ribeye steak that I cut myself from a full ribeye side, and I leave at least an inch to and inch and a half of fat. After grilling the ribeye, the first thing I attack is the fat. I think that's the tastiest part of the steak. He just shook his head.

• Haha
Reactions: Payton
my Doc said i could eat just one piece of bacon per day ....thats when I shook my head and I laughted

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: McLoven1t562
Dr. I used to have...wasn't my choice to switch, it was the medical clinic's...anyways he always loved to hear what I had been smoking or curing and I enjoyed sharing. Well the one year I went in for yearly checkup and he walks in and asks " how's the smoking going?". I must have had a dumb a-- look on my face...he also knew I smoked cigarettes and didn't give me any crap about it, because he suddenly piped up " the meat smoking". Should have heard how proud he was when him and a couple other doctors butchered their first hog right at the beginning of covid. I sure miss seeing him!

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
1st visit with a new cardiologist he mentioned red meat and I told him I eat plenty and smoke a lot of pork, sausages etc. He furiously started flipping thru papers and I knew he was looking for the blood test from the day before. He started to say, "your cholesterol level is...". Yeah, 116 isn't it? 2-2 ratio right? I'd already looked at it. "Well.... just keep doing what you're doing then, I guess." OK, I've got a butt ready to go in the smoker when I get home.

I also like telling new pulmonologists that I smoke a lot. A lot of meat.

• Haha
Reactions: McLoven1t562
I try not to worry. I give thanks to The Lord before I eat. I thank Him when I wake up and pray and give thanks for the day before going to sleep. I am prepared for eternity. Last year doctors found a blockage in my heart. My cardiologist scheduled me for a Cath procedure to determine a course of action. I already have a stent as well as an aneurysm clip in the brain. Oh how I prayed to God to take away the blockage. Day and night along with my regular prayers. The day came for the procedure. I went out like a light. In recovery, prepared for more bad news, the surgeon says they found no blockage. Prayer answered.

I took the post this way because all too often lately we have been asked to pray for a member who has a medical problem or for the family when the member has died or a family member of a forum member has passed. And many of us do. And maybe it is a good idea to pray just to stay in touch with our Creator and not be a stranger. But I think it is important to remember (for those who believe the Word) that our days are numbered. How and when are not known to us. So thanks and moderation are the key. I don't eat as much as I used to. But I do like my beef and pork, smaller portions. And a cold PBR. And I give thanks. Hope all here do well.

my Doc said i could eat just one piece of bacon per day ....thats when I shook my head and I laughted
He didn't say how big the piece is. If you don't slice a full pork belly it is one piece. Back when I was working I would bring 1 cup of coffee to work in one of these. Client would say that's a lot of coffee. I would say its just one cup.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Moderation in all things...including moderation.
As others have noted, there is no one answer. If your arteries are clear, and your cholesterol numbers and BP are good, there is little reason to change your diet. If not, listen to what your doctors are telling you.
I run the smoker only once or twice a month, most months, but that of course leaves us with a lot of leftovers, so we have BBQ once or more a week. Bacon maybe once, other cured meats like hot dogs less than once a month. I often make jerky without the cure, and scale back on salt in a lot of recipes.
But my wife and I are both foodies. We're not deprived in the weeks I don't BBQ, because we're making Indian or Thai or Mexican or Middle Eastern or Italian food, which we love. I even do fine with my wife's 'meatless monday' meal planning, now that she agreed we'll have a seafood-based meal those days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky