higher risk for heart attack ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
my Doc once told me that on AVERAGE once you have had the 1st heart attack the 2nd one happens about 6 years later but thats an average nothing hard and fast

i'm no expert, but i would think it has to do with the fat and the salt , the fat causes the arteries to clog and the salt causes the body to retain fluids that in turn cause your body to produce more blood than it needs causing high blood pressure. at least thats how my Doc explained the effect salt has on blood pressure
what i can tell you for sure is a heart attack HURTS !!!!

Last edited:
Looked it up and found there are two compounds formed when cooking meat at high temps. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons HCA and Hetero Cyclic Amines HCA are formed during high temp cooking. Since smoking is usually a low temp process one argument is that those compounds are not formed. The falacy is that the process of burning wood creates HCA and PAH compounds that carry over to the meat. Grilling is likely worse than smoking based on the HCA and PAH formation not only from higher temps, burning wood and dripping fats as well. The only direct reference to heart attack and stroke danger I found was due more to the salt content than smoke. As smokerjim said, moderation is probably the best approach.

In my case the current price of meat is moderating the dickens out of my grilling and smoking.

Reactions: 912smoker
my Doc once told me...
This is a personal choice. Doctors will always give conservative advice on booze, meat, and anything else that could be considered not the healthiest choices. That is their job. We have free will to do with that what we want. I wouldnt give advice on how much of anything is OK for someone else.

In my case the current price of meat is moderating the dickens out of my grilling and smoking.
And this is has also been a huge factor for us as well...Sadly

three years ago at age 62 i had a heart attack ,
when i told the Doc how much smoked meat i normally ate , i though HE was going to have a heart attack ,
so where do we draw the line as to how much we consume ? the amount the Doc said i could eat wouldn't feed a small mouse ,
as for you young fellas, you probably never think of such things but maybe you should and start now limiting the amount you consume
I'm 62.started with a stroke ( mainly due to high cholesterl and afib.) docs found faulty mitral vslve on eko) said to keep an eye onit.
one year later mitarl went totally south. cardiac arrest. dead on the floor flat lining with my bride pumping like an EMT.They paddled me and got me to ER. three weeks later mitral valve replacement. Three yers later and a great heart surgeon and rehb my heart tests at 70% which they say is good. i still get bitched at for rum and salt, but work too much to smoke meat more than once a week.
Moderation is my middle name now.good luck on getting back to normsl.

its been 3 years since i had the heart attack and one thing i have never figured out is this : i woke up at 3 am because of the pain in my chest sat up in bed and fell across my wife passed out ,when it woke me up i was in awful pain and could not breath
did i pass out from the shear pain OR did my lungs simply stop working and i passed out from lack of ox ? thats a question i don't think i will ever be able to answer

its been 3 years since i had the heart attack and one thing i have never figured out is this : i woke up at 3 am because of the pain in my chest sat up in bed and fell across my wife passed out ,when it woke me up i was in awful pain and could not breath
did i pass out from the shear pain OR did my lungs simply stop working and i passed out from lack of ox ? thats a question i don't think i will ever be able to answer
mine was almost opposite. came in from happy hour and went down lke a sack of cement on the living room floor. no pain, no bright lights or stairways. just flatlined. my wife is teacher and trained on CPR.

on the lighter side : a few days later a friend asked me , why did you have a heart attack ? i could not resist answering with this answer....i heard other people talking about having them so i thought i would try one and see how i liked it

My mom and dad were on a trip around the world when my father was walking across the hotel floor with a drink in each hand, Johannesburg, South Africa. He dropped dead before delivering the drink to mama, massive coronary, his third heart attack. Dad swam a mile every day, and walked three, he was in pretty darned good shape at 64 years old. I turned 70 last birthday, still smoke a half a pack a day, drink a milk glass of bourbon before dinner, and obviously still eat my share of red meat. Mama smoked until the age of 85 and passed away ay 89. When my sisters used to nag her about smoking she'd tell them, "there's nothing to be gained worrying about dying, the one sure thing about being born onto this planet, no one gets out alive". I'll go as hard as I can for as long as I can, mama was right! RAY

"there's nothing to be gained worrying about dying, the one sure thing about being born onto this planet, no one gets out alive". I'll go as hard as I can for as long as I can, mama was right! RAY
well said.

I've been lucky. 61, and though a little overweight, no serious health problems. Every time I go in for a checkup, the docs ask what prescriptions I'm on? When I say, "None," they always look shocked for some reason, like they own shares in Big Pharma. Pill-pushers.

One of my favorite movie quotes:
- M: Too many free radicals. That's your problem.
- James Bond: "Free radicals", sir?
- M: Yes. They're toxins that destroy the body and the brain, caused by eating too much red meat and white bread. And too many dry martinis!
- James Bond: Then I shall cut out the white bread, sir.

my Doc once told me that on AVERAGE once you have had the 1st heart attack the 2nd one happens about 6 years later but thats an average nothing hard and fast
I had mine in 2006. I was working a sit down job, not getting any exercise. Worked swing shift, and I'd stop at the burger joint on the way to work and get a burger for lunch and another for dinner. I quit smoking either right before, during, or right after the heart attack. Still ended up with COPD 10 yrs later, wish I'd quit earlier. Started eating better and bid off onto a more physical job, plus walk at least a mile daily since I retired. No problems since, though I do have a tiny mitral valve leak, possibly caused by the heart attack. I get it checked yearly.

Tell you what guys - you do not want to go through major cardiac surgery. The recovery is a bitch - going through it now, just about on the other side of it.

Mine was brought on by an issue I had since birth so no real way to avoid it, but if lifestyle changes could've, it would be worth doing.

My $.02 as someone with a 8 inch scar down the middle of their chest.

but if lifestyle changes could've, it would be worth doing.
agreed. I am a believer in activity and exercise. 5-6 days a week always. have two Labrador retrieves helps get my butt out the door regardless of weather. But biking, snowboarding, and weightlifting are the primary modes. I had a cardiac stress test a a few years back. They said all was clean and running good. I think a good workout offsets the other areas I may overindulge in occasionally.

Reactions: mcokevin
three years ago at age 62 i had a heart attack ,
when i told the Doc how much smoked meat i normally ate , i though HE was going to have a heart attack ,
so where do we draw the line as to how much we consume ? the amount the Doc said i could eat wouldn't feed a small mouse ,
as for you young fellas, you probably never think of such things but maybe you should and start now limiting the amount you consume
i didn't think once that you can have a heart attack because of smoked meat.

All I can say is moderation is the key to life, but I guess if I could do that I would still be drinking.😥.
HaHa--same thing for me.
I had a heart attack about 5 years ago, caused by clogged arteries. Funny thing is I eat next to no fat, so go figure.
They told me to give up coffee, smoking, drinking, smoked meat, and to exercise more. That lasted about a week. I take my meds, drink 3 mugs of coffee every morning, smoke 2 packs of cigs a day, quit drinking long before my attack, walk my Lab,Roxy, about a mile every day (as I always have), and eat lots of great food coming out of my MES 30.
My tests all come back great and I'm not only healthy, but thoroughly enjoy life.
Gary

Wife and I rarely eat red meat or pork. Mainly a fish family since we fish a lot. We don't smoke ciggies and have decided to reduce the amount of wine we use to consume. Walking 4-5 miles, 5 days a week.

This coming Tues is my annual doctor visit and watch him tell me I need cut back...........on what?
With me being 70, watch my doctor find something to complain about.........

Cut back on fishing??? He better not !!

Wife and I rarely eat red meat or pork. Mainly a fish family since we fish a lot. We don't smoke ciggies and have decided to reduce the amount of wine we use to consume. Walking 4-5 miles, 5 days a week.

This coming Tues is my annual doctor visit and watch him tell me I need cut back...........on what?
With me being 70, watch my doctor find something to complain about.........

Cut back on fishing??? He better not !!
Man, I wish my back and legs would let me walk 1/4 of the distance you're covering, I sure miss hiking the coastal mountain trails around here.

If he says anything about cutting back on hunting and fishing, my response would be, nah, I'm going to cut back on Dr appointments instead.

Reactions: 912smoker
You can also look at what meats you smoke. You can lighten up on the pork and other fatty cuts and head toward leaner cuts. Also poultry and fish can be a good addition to the menu
never thought I'd like any type of seafood, but so far (early into my tryouts I call em) I found out that I frikkin LOVE Salmon and Yellow Fin Tuna is also quite delicious.....I look forward to trying other seafood now =] lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky