Hi Mountain Hickory Blend jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I just used the Hi Mt seasonings for the first time and all I could say is, not too bad. I used their Hickory Blend. The cure combined with Hickory seasoning gave this jerky a very bacony (is that a word??) hammy flavor.

Jerky was smoked with a 50/50 mix of Hickory and Cherry pellets in the AMNPTS. Temps fluctuated from 120-180 due to the flame going out a few times.

Good but different...I prefer a wet Soy Sauce/Worcestershire base to my jerky. That leads me to ask...has anybody just used the cure packet from Hi Mountain and added to their own recipe?

Hi Mountain has some great kits for jerky making ! They are just over the mountains from us, so their product is in most stores round here ! I like the cracked pepper & garlic, also the inferno blend is good !

Been a while since I used a kit though !

I have not used the cure packet only, I will though when I use them kits add a bit of cayenne, coarse ground pepper or red pepper flakes ! Only adding around a tsp !

If you use your own recipe, you could always go with cure #1 !

Thank you guys.

I will get cure #1 for sure. I guess I'll keep the kit together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky