• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hi Mountain Hickory Blend jerky

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
I just used the Hi Mt seasonings for the first time and all I could say is, not too bad. I used their Hickory Blend. The cure combined with Hickory seasoning gave this jerky a very bacony (is that a word??) hammy flavor.

Jerky was smoked with a 50/50 mix of Hickory and Cherry pellets in the AMNPTS. Temps fluctuated from 120-180 due to the flame going out a few times.

Good but different...I prefer a wet Soy Sauce/Worcestershire base to my jerky. That leads me to ask...has anybody just used the cure packet from Hi Mountain and added to their own recipe?

WaterinHoleBrew

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Hi Mountain has some great kits for jerky making ! They are just over the mountains from us, so their product is in most stores round here ! I like the cracked pepper & garlic, also the inferno blend is good !

Been a while since I used a kit though !

I have not used the cure packet only, I will though when I use them kits add a bit of cayenne, coarse ground pepper or red pepper flakes ! Only adding around a tsp !

If you use your own recipe, you could always go with cure #1 !

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
You could use the cure as long as you use it per their directions. But like Justin said, just get some cure #1.

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Thank you guys.

I will get cure #1 for sure. I guess I'll keep the kit together.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.