Heritage Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Travis Morisoli

Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
I have been smoking for about two years now on a simple stick burner. I am best with doing 6-7lb pork butts. They come out good and consisted. I was looking at heritage Pork online and wanted to get some thoughts and suggestions. Was looking at getting this pork shoulder.

https://buypork.com/bbq/bone-in-pork-shoulder/

Does anybody have experience with Cheshire? Anybody ever done this big of a shoulder? Says 19-20 lbs. Any thoughts on how long that would take? 20+ hours? Any tips? Temp? Anybody know where to get great pork cuts (Heritage, specially pork) in Orange County, Ca?

Thank in advance.

T

Sorry I've never smoked a heritage or a butt 20#, but welcome to the site. A few members have gone heritage and will chime in later.

Chris

Welcome to SMF!
I have used Berkshire pork bellies for making bacon & they are fantastic.
But I would think that for a butt you wouldn't see much difference, cause the average butt has plenty of fat in it to keep it moist & flavorful. But if you get on we sure would like to know your results.
Al

Im with Al on this one. Ever smoke a bad pork butt? I never have and I’ve smoked hundreds of them. They all have plenty of fat. I’d Use that money to buy a really good brisket. I only smoke prime grade briskets now and it really makes a difference in my opinion.

Welcome to the forums!

Scott

Im with Al on this one. Ever smoke a bad pork butt? I never have and I’ve smoked hundreds of them. They all have plenty of fat. I’d Use that money to buy a really good brisket. I only smoke prime grade briskets now and it really makes a difference in my opinion.

Welcome to the forums!

Scott

Maybe I'm just still new, but I feel like I'll have butts that do vary. Some are amazing and so moist and others are just ok. I always get them from the same place, a market with a pretty good butcher. Always try to keep the heat around 250°. Smoke around 4 hours then wrap in butcher paper and smoke until 200°. Again they are always good but I can notice difference.

Thank for the comments. Not sure if I'll spend the money. Seems like it would take forever to cook being 20#.

Since I have never heard of a Cheshire breed before I am betting that the pigs they are butchering are not truly a heritage breed, most likely a cross of some sort. IMHO certain heritage breeds do produce a noticeably better tasting smoked products a lot of which has to do with the intramuscular fat content. If I am going to pay a premium for my pork I want to make sure that A) I know what breed it was coming from-specifically red waddle, mulefoot or ossabaw, or Guinea and B) what the pig was getting fed and more important what feed it was finished on. I like my pork to come from a grain and whey fed pigs and finished with nuts and apples. While that flavor may or may not survive a the long slow smoking process, I can definitely taste it in my cured meats and pork chops.

I buy my pigs (mulefoot) from a local farmer and butcher it myself and costs probably a buck and a half more than the Walmart special. I'm not saying that you should take on butchering but I would suggest searching around your area to see if anyone local is raising heritage pigs, craigslist is actually a pretty good resource. More often than not, farmers are more then willing to drop a certain animal off at the slaughterhouse for a small fee.

Reactions: chilerelleno
I too wanted to know which Heritage breed of hog they are using.
I've tried several times this morning to call this company and they do not answer their phone and so far they have not returned my calls.

If I can not easily contact them to ask a question or place an order or other customer service issue.
That right there puts me off them.

I agree that All Butts are Great, so that seems like a lot of money to me.

However the only Cheshire I ever heard of was a "Cheshire Cat".

I guess I just don't get around much. :D

If you get one, let us know how it worked out !!

Bear

Add me to the cheshire or fancy pork is not needed for PP camp. In fact, I think you are missing out on one of the best ways to ways to improve PP and it's cheap: Injecting. I suggest apple juice for first foray. From here look up some injection recipes or buy some online. Mine is loosely based on Mixon's.

We raise Mulefoot & Berkshire true heritage hogs. We spent alot of money on boars and sows with paper work. The American Mulefoot was crossed with bloodlines superior quality Berkshires. Berkshire Hogs are also known as Kurobuta. Its the best tasting hog in the world. Mulefoot has the best hams & shoulders & the Berkshire is everything else. 80% of our hogs food comes from the padlocks. We use no grain. left over milk from the dairy farm & donut shop. Eggs from the chickens. In the fall we put down tarps to collect acorns. we finish our hog with pumpkins & acorns. it takes us about 7 months to raise a pig to 189lbs. Any larger then that has too much fat.....If you have any question please ask.

Thank you much for all the replies. I'll just stick with my butts from the supermarket. Might try the injection as I have never tried that. Overall they turn out great but never an exact science as to why one is a bit more juicy than the next. Maybe just being super critical of my own work as well.

Thank you much for all the replies. I'll just stick with my butts from the supermarket. Might try the injection as I have never tried that. Overall they turn out great but never an exact science as to why one is a bit more juicy than the next. Maybe just being super critical of my own work as well.

Take it from a Veteran:
Sometimes a "Nice" Butt is much better than a "Perfect" Butt.
A Perfect Butt often has an Attitude, and goes into a Long Stall, giving you a Hard Time.
But A Nice Butt can get Real Tender, and not give you a hard time all the way to Finish.

Bear

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky