Help gray possible metal shavings coming off my grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slavikborisov

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
LEM #32 brand new used it twice and I noticed gray coming out the center. I switched knives and plates and still got the issue and tried loosening the locking nut any advice on what it’s actually is and how to fix it.
503A5424-819E-4137-A952-99D2862E161B.jpeg
63B08002-30C7-446B-9060-D85E76908268.jpeg
451FBC6B-A91A-43C4-87EA-7AB0B0B1671D.jpeg

I'm not familiar with that exact model, but when you broke it down, was there a collection of silver skin or tendon that was wrapped around the base of the knife? It can get hot and sort of ooze out. Often, a little white grease combined with the silver skin will make it change color due to the heat from friction.

With a new grinder and any new plate, inspect those plates close for leftover milling shards. The it’s best to run some old freezer meat that you aren’t going to eat because it’s 4 years old through for the first pass and then throw the meat away about 5# will work.

Then be sure to lube for every use, the back end of the auger where the bushing is in the grinder head, and then lube the knife, plate and the spindle that keeps the plate centered. This will stop the black gunk in the grind. Lube with whatever you feel appropriate, but I use crisco right out of the can.

^^^what SmokinEdge SmokinEdge said on metal shavings. But the grey ring of goo around the tip of the auger where it rotates in the plate is normal. Just don't over tighten the plate ring-you just need it snug so the knife stays in contact with the plate.

Okay great thank guys for the quick response I was sweating bullets there thinking my meat was ruined appreciate the help!!

Yup

It can happen. I returned 4 LEM meat mixers because of that same issue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky