• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hello from Vietnam

mcbrandons

Joined Dec 11, 2020
Hi,

I'm an expat living and working in the sunny beach town of Vung Tau, Vietnam. Being a Texan by birth, I began to miss the bbq meats I had grown up with, So recently, I've begun to experiment with smoking my own meats. However, I often need to improvise with the limited materials and equipment available here. This board has been a lot of help in getting me started and I hope to learn more.

I currently have a "bullet-style" charcoal smoker that I've used with mixed results. I am also working on converting it to propane (we'll see how that goes). I've tried smoking with sugar cane, coconut shells, tea leaves, and some beechwood chips I was able to find from Germany.

Anyways hope to learn more from everyone,

Brandon

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Welcome aboard from ND . . . Lot of good people in here to assist if needed.

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Welcome to the forums from Mississippi. Ex-pat living has been something I've thought about doing. Seems interesting.
Jim

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to the forum, Brandon!
It must be tough being a Texan without BBQ!
Al

TuckersBarbeque

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 29, 2020
That sounds like an awesome challenge, and I'm sure you can develop some awesome tasting recipes with what you have. Necessity is the mother of all invention.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Welcome from Maryland. Yup that type of smoker was my first. You can turn out some great stuff with it.

Warren

TuckersBarbeque

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 29, 2020
Welcome from Maryland. Yup that type of smoker was my first. You can turn out some great stuff with it.

Warren
Where in Maryland, Warren? Born and raised there. Lived everywhere from Hunt Valley, Timonium, Towson, Annapolis, Sykesville, Laurel, Hagerstown, etc...

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Where in Maryland, Warren? Born and raised there. Lived everywhere from Hunt Valley, Timonium, Towson, Annapolis, Sykesville, Laurel, Hagerstown, etc...
Born and raised on the Eastern Shore I live 25 miles east of the bay bridge.

Warren

mcbrandons

Joined Dec 11, 2020
Welcome to the forums from Mississippi. Ex-pat living has been something I've thought about doing. Seems interesting.
Jim
Haha I thought I'd give it a try and 10 years later I'm still here. It's not all sunshine and palm trees but its a world away from stress of the rat race back home.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Welcome from Wisconsin.

A 55 gallon drum barrel smoker can be made cheaply and easily. I am sure you could find suitable salvage parts almost anywhere in the world for one of these units.

JC :emoji_cat:

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like mcbrandons it is appreciated.

Warren

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.