Hello from Texas!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ed Hernandez

Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
My name is Ed, consider myself a rookie when it comes to smoking because I started little under a year ago. It all started when I saw some Malcolm Reed videos on YouTube and just had to try it so I went out and bought a cheap smoker, as I have a Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment that I decided to get since I didn't have Kamado, Yoder, or BGE money ha. I look forward to learning a few tricks from you vets to hopefully up my game so my family can enjoy smoked meats for years to come.

Reactions: SonnyE
I have a Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment

Welcome!

I got into smoking/BBQ after spending a few days at my cousin's and eating awesome food off his "Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment" every day. He's been using that thing for years and hasn't felt the need to upgrade. That cooker can be a little finicky, but once you learn the ins and outs of it and get some experience under your belt it will become second nature to you.

Looking forward to seeing what you crank out!

Hi Ed,
Welcome to
small-logo.png

Sounds to me like you are well on your way to many great meals!

Hi Ed and welcome. That char-griller will put out some good food. I started out with one also. After a period of time I got tired of babysitting it so I upgraded to the WSM. I still have the char-griller sitting in my yard.

Chris

Welcome!

I got into smoking/BBQ after spending a few days at my cousin's and eating awesome food off his "Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment" every day. He's been using that thing for years and hasn't felt the need to upgrade. That cooker can be a little finicky, but once you learn the ins and outs of it and get some experience under your belt it will become second nature to you.

Looking forward to seeing what you crank out!

Thanks brother! No doubt that thing needs a lot of help at least with mine first time I used it I was dependent on the temperature gauge on the lid :emoji_cold_sweat: then went on and sealed all of the seams, extended the chimney, added gauges at about grate level, did the charcoal box, even used lavalock to seal the pit and box, then bought a probe for meat and to keep an eye on pit temps from the living room! Its finally doing much better but still needs help and of course a watchful eye have a rack of spare ribs going right now rolling onto hour 2.

Hi Ed and welcome. That char-griller will put out some good food. I started out with one also. After a period of time I got tired of babysitting it so I upgraded to the WSM. I still have the char-griller sitting in my yard.

Chris

Thanks bud! I agree I should've done a little more homework on it and maybe bought an Oklahoma Joe ended up hating having to open half of the smoker to add meat, move meat, etc. Personally I would love to get a Yoder YS640 or even a 480 but of course that's a good ole pellet set it forget it, I plan on buying a Webber kettle to have alongside my rigged smoker in the near future.

Welcome Ed!!
Won't take you long to get up to speed !!
Texans are Awesome Smokers!!

Bear

Howdy and Welcome from East Texas

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky