1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hello from Texas!

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by Ed Hernandez, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Ed Hernandez

Ed Hernandez Newbie

My name is Ed, consider myself a rookie when it comes to smoking because I started little under a year ago. It all started when I saw some Malcolm Reed videos on YouTube and just had to try it so I went out and bought a cheap smoker, as I have a Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment that I decided to get since I didn't have Kamado, Yoder, or BGE money ha. I look forward to learning a few tricks from you vets to hopefully up my game so my family can enjoy smoked meats for years to come.

SonnyE likes this.
  2. welcome ed, you will learn much. when you ask for help here you will get it.

3. Fgignac

Fgignac Smoke Blower

Welcome!

I got into smoking/BBQ after spending a few days at my cousin's and eating awesome food off his "Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment" every day. He's been using that thing for years and hasn't felt the need to upgrade. That cooker can be a little finicky, but once you learn the ins and outs of it and get some experience under your belt it will become second nature to you.

Looking forward to seeing what you crank out!

4. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hi Ed,
    Welcome to
    [​IMG]

Sounds to me like you are well on your way to many great meals!

5. kruizer

kruizer Master of the Pit

Welcome to SMF from Minnesota. Keep on smokin.

6. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Hi Ed and welcome. That char-griller will put out some good food. I started out with one also. After a period of time I got tired of babysitting it so I upgraded to the WSM. I still have the char-griller sitting in my yard.

Chris

7. Fgignac

Fgignac Smoke Blower

They definitely require some babysitting. A good wireless thermometer that you can set hi/lo temp alarms on is a great tool.

8. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome glad to have you on the forum if you look search and read you will find tons of info,

Warren

9. Ed Hernandez

Ed Hernandez Newbie

Thanks brother! No doubt that thing needs a lot of help at least with mine first time I used it I was dependent on the temperature gauge on the lid :emoji_cold_sweat: then went on and sealed all of the seams, extended the chimney, added gauges at about grate level, did the charcoal box, even used lavalock to seal the pit and box, then bought a probe for meat and to keep an eye on pit temps from the living room! Its finally doing much better but still needs help and of course a watchful eye have a rack of spare ribs going right now rolling onto hour 2.

10. Ed Hernandez

Ed Hernandez Newbie

Thanks bud! I agree I should've done a little more homework on it and maybe bought an Oklahoma Joe ended up hating having to open half of the smoker to add meat, move meat, etc. Personally I would love to get a Yoder YS640 or even a 480 but of course that's a good ole pellet set it forget it, I plan on buying a Webber kettle to have alongside my rigged smoker in the near future.

11. dcecil

dcecil Master of the Pit

Welcome to the site ED

12. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Welcome to SMF!
    Glad to have you join the group!
    Al

13. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Master of the Pit

Hello there! Welcome to SMF! I also have the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM), which is a great smoker to learn on and puts out some great food!

14. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Welcome Ed!!
    Won't take you long to get up to speed !!
    Texans are Awesome Smokers!!

Bear

15. gary s

gary s SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

Howdy and Welcome from East Texas

Gary