• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hello from Texas!

Ed Hernandez

Joined Jan 6, 2019
My name is Ed, consider myself a rookie when it comes to smoking because I started little under a year ago. It all started when I saw some Malcolm Reed videos on YouTube and just had to try it so I went out and bought a cheap smoker, as I have a Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment that I decided to get since I didn't have Kamado, Yoder, or BGE money ha. I look forward to learning a few tricks from you vets to hopefully up my game so my family can enjoy smoked meats for years to come.

Fgignac

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 6, 2018
I have a Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment
Welcome!

I got into smoking/BBQ after spending a few days at my cousin's and eating awesome food off his "Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment" every day. He's been using that thing for years and hasn't felt the need to upgrade. That cooker can be a little finicky, but once you learn the ins and outs of it and get some experience under your belt it will become second nature to you.

Looking forward to seeing what you crank out!

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 13, 2017
Hi Ed,
Welcome to

Sounds to me like you are well on your way to many great meals!

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Hi Ed and welcome. That char-griller will put out some good food. I started out with one also. After a period of time I got tired of babysitting it so I upgraded to the WSM. I still have the char-griller sitting in my yard.

Chris

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Welcome glad to have you on the forum if you look search and read you will find tons of info,

Warren

Ed Hernandez

Joined Jan 6, 2019
Welcome!

I got into smoking/BBQ after spending a few days at my cousin's and eating awesome food off his "Char-Griller Smoker with a firebox attachment" every day. He's been using that thing for years and hasn't felt the need to upgrade. That cooker can be a little finicky, but once you learn the ins and outs of it and get some experience under your belt it will become second nature to you.

Looking forward to seeing what you crank out!
Thanks brother! No doubt that thing needs a lot of help at least with mine first time I used it I was dependent on the temperature gauge on the lid :emoji_cold_sweat: then went on and sealed all of the seams, extended the chimney, added gauges at about grate level, did the charcoal box, even used lavalock to seal the pit and box, then bought a probe for meat and to keep an eye on pit temps from the living room! Its finally doing much better but still needs help and of course a watchful eye have a rack of spare ribs going right now rolling onto hour 2.

Ed Hernandez

Joined Jan 6, 2019
Hi Ed and welcome. That char-griller will put out some good food. I started out with one also. After a period of time I got tired of babysitting it so I upgraded to the WSM. I still have the char-griller sitting in my yard.

Chris
Thanks bud! I agree I should've done a little more homework on it and maybe bought an Oklahoma Joe ended up hating having to open half of the smoker to add meat, move meat, etc. Personally I would love to get a Yoder YS640 or even a 480 but of course that's a good ole pellet set it forget it, I plan on buying a Webber kettle to have alongside my rigged smoker in the near future.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to SMF!
Glad to have you join the group!
Al

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Welcome Ed!!
Won't take you long to get up to speed !!
Texans are Awesome Smokers!!

Bear

gary s

OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Howdy and Welcome from East Texas

Gary

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks