Hello from Tasmania Australia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

R Lawrence

Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
Tasmania Australia
I am a newbie having just purchased an Akorn JR Komando, so have lots to learn and to experience. I have a quantity of Rosewood and want to know if this is suitable for smoking and what meat would it pair with the best. Thanks.

Welcome to the site, happy to have ya join up. Someone else will have to answer your rosewood question. Sorry, but I haven't a clue if it's good or not.

Chris

I am a newbie having just purchased an Akorn JR Komando, so have lots to learn and to experience. I have a quantity of Rosewood and want to know if this is suitable for smoking and what meat would it pair with the best. Thanks.

How you goin and welcome!

I found one post where a guy in Australia was using rosewood but mentioned it wasn't good for flavor:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/wood.177595/

Also I found a forum talking about rosewood tobacco pipes and guys there mentioning that rosewood dust was not good for you and may give a skin reaction like poison ivy.
My understanding of poison ivy is that if you really inhale poison ivy smoke and are allergic to it you will likely die due to your lungs filling up with blisters and puss, etc. I once saw a movie where Native American Indian's burned a bunch of poison ivy to send smoke downwind into the faces of the people chasing them. Those people didn't make it in the movie lol. Soooooo I would probably skip rosewood just in case there is a chance it behaves anything like poison ivy lol.

I did find a blog post with a guy from Australia trying to source local wood there for smoking and this is an excerpt with a list of what he was able to source and have success with:

As for my own preferences, it took some experimenting with different hard woods and fruit woods that i can source here in Australia to find out the ones I found suitable to my taste , but I believe it’s not so much about the wood you choose, but how you use it. A few of my favourites include:

• Ironbark
• Apple
• Oak
• Manuka
• Cherry
• Chestnut
• Macadamia
• Black wattle
• Peach
• Nectarine
• Pecan

By a long shot for me, the pick of the bunch is ironbark or oak for all red meat cooking. I prefer it because of its burning qualities and subtle smoke flavour, it has a good all-round flavour and long hot burns, although oak does has a stronger smoke flavour.

For pork, chicken and sausage links I use a few different woods but mainly a mixture of apple or cherry for the smoke, plus some ironbark for the heat due to the fruit wood burning quite fast. Peach also works really well. Again, be careful of the fruit woods being quite light and fast burning – for some of them you’ll definitely need a good solid base of charcoal to even out the burn, but the smell of apple wood burning in a pit will always win me over, every time.

Manuka wood is also one of my favourites, it permeates a distinctive smell, which is hard to describe, almost sweet, and musky, awesome for all meats and definitely a go-to.

Maybe you can trade some Redwood for one of the woods in the list above.
If you can then Bob's your uncle m8. :)

Reactions: R Lawrence
How you goin and welcome!

I found one post where a guy in Australia was using rosewood but mentioned it wasn't good for flavor:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/wood.177595/

Also I found a forum talking about rosewood tobacco pipes and guys there mentioning that rosewood dust was not good for you and may give a skin reaction like poison ivy.
My understanding of poison ivy is that if you really inhale poison ivy smoke and are allergic to it you will likely die due to your lungs filling up with blisters and puss, etc. I once saw a movie where Native American Indian's burned a bunch of poison ivy to send smoke downwind into the faces of the people chasing them. Those people didn't make it in the movie lol. Soooooo I would probably skip rosewood just in case there is a chance it behaves anything like poison ivy lol.

I did find a blog post with a guy from Australia trying to source local wood there for smoking and this is an excerpt with a list of what he was able to source and have success with:

As for my own preferences, it took some experimenting with different hard woods and fruit woods that i can source here in Australia to find out the ones I found suitable to my taste , but I believe it’s not so much about the wood you choose, but how you use it. A few of my favourites include:

• Ironbark
• Apple
• Oak
• Manuka
• Cherry
• Chestnut
• Macadamia
• Black wattle
• Peach
• Nectarine
• Pecan

By a long shot for me, the pick of the bunch is ironbark or oak for all red meat cooking. I prefer it because of its burning qualities and subtle smoke flavour, it has a good all-round flavour and long hot burns, although oak does has a stronger smoke flavour.

For pork, chicken and sausage links I use a few different woods but mainly a mixture of apple or cherry for the smoke, plus some ironbark for the heat due to the fruit wood burning quite fast. Peach also works really well. Again, be careful of the fruit woods being quite light and fast burning – for some of them you’ll definitely need a good solid base of charcoal to even out the burn, but the smell of apple wood burning in a pit will always win me over, every time.

Manuka wood is also one of my favourites, it permeates a distinctive smell, which is hard to describe, almost sweet, and musky, awesome for all meats and definitely a go-to.

Maybe you can trade some Redwood for one of the woods in the list above.
If you can then Bob's your uncle m8. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky