Greetings from Southern New Mexico

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NM Tumbleweed

Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
Newbie to smoking. While I have dabbled a bit over the last year or so on basic smoking technique and recipes I am looking at expanding into curing and smoking. My first foray will be an immersion cure using the equilibrium method followed with several hours on low smoke. My question pertains to the use of Prague #2 vs #1. Is #2 suitable for use in this instance? I have read that #2 is required since the meat will be in the danger zone during the smoking period. And what might the time delay be before first tasting? I understand that it takes several weeks for the nitrates to convert to nitrites and then to nitrous oxide. Thanks in advance for any advice and insights.

Brian

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from SW Colorado.

As to cure #1 vs. cure #2, use cure #1 for all things to finish by or before 30 days that is brine or dry cured. Use cure #2 for all meats that will go longer than 30 days in a drying process after the initial cure stage. They must also be dried in the 50’s degree range and not refrigerated temperature.

Ask questions specifically and we can answer.

Newbie to smoking. While I have dabbled a bit over the last year or so on basic smoking technique and recipes I am looking at expanding into curing and smoking. My first foray will be an immersion cure using the equilibrium method followed with several hours on low smoke. My question pertains to the use of Prague #2 vs #1. Is #2 suitable for use in this instance? I have read that #2 is required since the meat will be in the danger zone during the smoking period. And what might the time delay be before first tasting? I understand that it takes several weeks for the nitrates to convert to nitrites and then to nitrous oxide. Thanks in advance for any advice and insights.

Brian
Thanks for the quick response. This info gives me a better insight on this project. As to the drying conditions, I understand the temp. Are there any requirements on humidity or air circulation? Mr. JLeonard I currently hail from the Las Cruces/El Paso, TX patch of dirt.

Thanks for the quick response. This info gives me a better insight on this project. As to the drying conditions, I understand the temp. Are there any requirements on humidity or air circulation? Mr. JLeonard I currently hail from the Las Cruces/El Paso, TX patch of dirt.
I did a nursing travel assignment to Roswell on two different occasions. Love New Mexico.

Jim

Reactions: 02ebz06
Welcome, I spent about 18 months between El Paso, Las Cruces, Deming a long long time ago…. Had a buddy in Deming that was a chili & onion farmer……man had lots of chilis while there!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky