Hello from South East Ohio!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cybrslydr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 18, 2017
Douglas, WY
Good evening folks!  My name is Jordan.  

My brother and I picked up fishing as a hobby about this time last year and have met with minimal results (seems being shore-bound isn't so hot for bass fishing in Ohio).  So a few weeks ago, my brother decided to pick up a Weber kettle grill at Wal-Mart.

For our first real foray into grilling, we bought some 16oz Ribeyes from a local butcher.

After doing a lot of research online we decided to do a dry brine with coarse sea salt in the fridge overnight.

Next day we washed them off and let them come up to room temp and performed a reverse-sear on all the steaks and smoked with hickory wood chips.

That's after they've been cooking over indirect for about 20min total (10/side I think).

Then we stoked the coals and got them good and hot and seared them.

These two were for my mother and father.  The biggest issue we ran into was deciding what cut to get for mom since she's a well-done only gal.  The butcher suggested going with ribeye as the marbling in it would better serve the flavor when it was cooked that long moreso than a more lean New York cut or similar.

This is a shot of the steak my dad got - was so tender and juicy!

And here's the steak I got.  

I was in absolute heaven!  Bar-none, those were the best steaks any of us had ever had.  They were so tender and juicy!  The hickory gave it a nice scent/flavor as well.

We enjoyed this so much that we then did burgers and sausage for the 4th and are now looking into trying our hand at smoking a brisket this weekend, which is why I'm now here!  

Figured I'd stop off and see what kind of suggestions and the like you folks had to help us make our first go a success.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the HU on the pics Al.  So used to doing it with the IMG tags I didn't even think to see how the forum supports it.

Should be working now!

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a beautiful, hot sunny day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web.

Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Thanks folks, great to be here - hope I learn a lot and make some great meat!  :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky