Hello from Shawnee OK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SLYates

Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
I received my first smoker as a Father’s Day gift this year. It’s a MES 40 and I love it. Most of my smokes have been amazing. A few not so good. You can’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs. I know I would not have had such good luck with my smokes without smokingmeatforums.com. Thank you guys so much.

I smoked my second turkey for Christmas and noticed that I was having trouble keeping the temp up in my smoker. I had the forethought to add some bricks to the smoker to try and stabilize the temp but that didn’t help me much. The temp outside was in the low 30’s.

Yesterday I decided to try and find an insulating blanket. Found one online from Home Depot (online only) for the MES 40 for $99. But I wouldn’t receive it for my smoke today. So I bought some Reflectix and some aluminum tape (for under $20) and went to work. After I was done I fired up the smoker and in under 30 mins the thing was preheated!!! So I think the makeshift insulating blanket worked. So I thought I’d add a couple pictures to share with all of you.

10323E54-24F6-4A97-BCD3-EE037C2BAF8D.jpeg
98BDBBCC-35A0-4B7D-A6DF-CD1D23D6E242.jpeg

Great idea!
I always thought the MES had plenty of insulation built in, but in your case I guess that's not the case!
Awesome job!
Al

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a nice sunny chilly day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Great Idea

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky