HAM.... easy peasy... no mess.... DISCLAIMER.. MONEY...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It won't delete so I can't add a value.... I have started my Excel viewer and started editable excel program also...
I don't have excel and these programs, I have serious trouble with...
Soooo, I still have my slide rule from 9th grade algebra class.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Quick question....I'm celebrating a late Christmas with my dad and he asked if I could cook a ham, this was yesterday. So I went out and bought a fresh ham and injected it last night. I know you said 6 days minimum, is there any exception to that? I don't use a traditional smoker, I use a green egg and rotisserie the meat, typically cooking around 225-250. Just curious, cause I'd love to cook it on Friday afternoon so he has some time to snack on the ham in addition to serving it for a meal.

The ingredients may not be thoroughly disbursed... Unequal distribution... If you injected every 1 1/2" or so, it will be close... The 6 days minimum is primarily for the nitrite to penetrate to all portions of the ham and protect from botulism... Since you will be cooking at 225+ ish, pathogens and especially botulism won't be a problem...
Get the internal temp of the ham up to 160 ish... I personally like ham cooked to 170 ish.. the meat gets a little more tender.. You won't have to worry about a dry ham with the STPP and veggie stock...
Once folks have tasted the ham, you will be the NEW ham maker in the family... which ain't a bad thing..

Great! I have no problems being the meat man, ham man whatever they come up with. I just love cooking delicious meat.

Thanks for your advice. Given this cut is quite small, about 8lbs the distribution should be pretty good. I’ll continue to massage it and maybe that will help.

1 thumbs up.jpg

My buddy & I will be doing our annual hog butchering next Friday & Saturday. I guess I'm going to be getting a few ingredients together to give this a shot. Just so that I understand, all the mixed ingredients get injected and there is nothing for the ham to "soak in", except for what may leak out I guess? I just want to be sure I'm doing this correctly.

You got it.... Inject what you want / need in the meat... Injections should be about 1 to 1.5" apart for thorough coverage... wait 6 days or longer... smoke....
......IMPORTANT.......
Mix in the order listed....
1.... STPP
2.... sugar
3.... salt
4.... Cure#1

If anyone is interested, I picked one of these up and it made a huge difference with injecting. Prior I was just using a syringe and had very little control over the amount injecting.

1E5FDE2E-B6BA-4192-B453-F3F9F31A1629.jpeg
ABF58978-E4C0-4A02-A120-5E5DD870768E.jpeg
3B492778-3E1C-4D05-91EE-2536B1D97324.jpeg
D4680D00-18FE-41DE-A5E1-EF065670EECD.jpeg
Time to report in.
Used the information in this thread to do a pork sirloin roast. Cured pork according to the guidance given. Cold smoked with one full tray of apple and cob pellets, rested a day and then cooked over homemade lump to 150*. Rested overnight uncovered, then vacuumed packed and into the fridge for three days. Ham was awesome. Thanks, Dave, for this method. You da man!!
Sorry, struggling to post this. Pics are not in order

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
The pork was 99 cents a pound so I only had about $4 invested in meat. If I messed things up I wasn’t going to be out much. It was delicious.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky