HAM.... easy peasy... no mess.... DISCLAIMER.. MONEY...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Like this cheap?
Makes me wonder !!!

20181114_165708.jpg

Looking for opinions about resting the ham before and after smoking. When I smoke bacon I let it rest in the fridge on wire racks for 2-3 days before smoking to dry and form a pellicle. After smoking I again let it rest for 5-7 days in the fridge on a wire rack to dry and let the smoke mellow. Does anyone do the same technique with a ham? If so, for how long? Any recommendations? Am I over thinking this?

I rest it for as long as my hunger will allow... Generally I cut off a hunk and put it back in the refer to rest.....

Can you have a look at this and let me know. The meat has some darkish areas...is that normal? It doesn’t smell bad at all.

ED831EEC-AA49-4F54-909A-7AD0DA329229.jpeg

57CB2149-3520-4691-BD2C-FA750E84DFE8.jpeg

I’m going to rotisserie it on my green egg at around 180° with a mix of apple and pecan.

As for the skin yes I’ll remove it.

I was just a bit concerned with the darkish spots...I guess that’s normal?

Obviously I don’t want anyone getting sick

Well, I have to say this ham came out incredibly delicious! I cooked it to 150° then basted it with a mix of maple syrup, brown sugar, nutmeg and clove and finished it with a heavy sprinkling of sugar.

For smoke I did a bit of hickory, apple and pecan.

Really happy with it. I thought I took a before pic but some how I didn’t, so here is a sliced photo.

5991841B-23B6-4710-896E-CF0DE566D72F.jpeg

James, Cool..... So, are you back to normal ???? I see you are happy with the results.... "Incredibly delicious" are pretty strong words... HAHAHAHAHAHA.... That's what I thought also when I developed this method...
I'm glad this ham turned out well for you.... It is frustrating until you get it right... I've been there, done that, many times... Success is to be enjoyed, and all the "valuable learning experiences" (another word for screw ups) are to be remembered as positives leading to your success.... This curing stuff just became very easy for you... I'm also glad you got out of the "brine curing" and into the "injection curing"... makes life so much easier and less expensive..
The ham looks delicious....

1 Shaking hands.png

Reactions: james211
Well I love making mistakes...kind of the story of my life for everything first time around. The only concerning part for me was the color of the meat, but after a good trimming it came out beautiful. Had a bite of ham this morning and its so darn good. Can't wait to watch the jaws drop on Christmas Day.

Reactions: chopsaw
Had a bite of ham this morning and its so darn good. Can't wait to watch the jaws drop on Christmas Day.

Yep Happy it turned out . I've done 5 since Dave helped me learn this , and I'm almost out again . This is one thing that I don't change or add to . Just so good as is .
Enjoy .

Reactions: denny
Also, I created this spreadsheet to help calculate the ratios of each ingredient for the injection. All the cells are locked except for the ham weight. You enter the weight in pounds, and it calculates each ingredient.

Attachments

• Ham Curing Ratios.xlsx
    4.1 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: HushyQ and JZ_Focus
Had to down load , then enable edit . Seems to work good . Just checked it against my notes .
Nice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky