Had to smoke it - Hot and Fast Brisket Point

Discussion in 'Beef' started by smokinhusker, Jul 25, 2013.

1. I had to empty one of my freezers (it's in the shed) over the weekend - power went off and back on quickly sometime during the night, but the freezer didn't kick back on and we didn't find it until Sunday morning. 

Just a few things completely thawed and if it wasn't cold enough, into the garbage it went. 

I had a 13 lb packer brisket in there and it had started to thaw around the sides, so into the fridge it went to continue defrosting. I needed to grind some burger, so I separated the point and flat (will grind for burger).

Both pieces of meat were fatty and beautiful, so I decided to smoke the point (Rock loves fatty meat).

I injected it with a mixture of 1 quart water, 3 Tbsp Moore's Marinade, 3 Tbsp Johnny's Au Jus and 1 1/2 Tbsp Better than Beef Concentrate. Poured a couple cups over it and into the fridge to marinate.

Out of the fridge and rubbed with a basic Brisket Rub I picked up at the grocery store.

Into a 350° pre heated propane smoker, fat cap down and adjusted the smoker temp to 300°, smoked with Cherry and Hickory. I also added a pan of JJ's Smoky Au Jus under it. 

It took 3 hours to reach 175° internal meat temp (we don't like our brisket falling apart), pulled it and loosely foiled and into a cooler for a couple hours.

After 1.5 hours - IT 130°

Slicing after resting in a cooler for a couple hours (IT was still 163°)

I'll never do another low and slow brisket again, or at least I don't think I will. This was by far the juiciest and most tender meat. 

Thanks for looking!

2. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I won't either.  Takes forever...and yours looks amazing!  Yummmm....wish I had a taste!

Kat

3. Thank you! Of course Rock loved all that fat and where it was thinner, it turned into some great bark (almost like burnt ends).

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great Alesia! I'm sold on the hotter temp smokes. MMMM JJ's Au Jus [​IMG]The last batch I made I used a nice porter instead of the wine, Fantastic!

5. Thanks! I'm can't have brisket if I don't make the Au Jus...I do believe Rock would drink it if he were allowed!

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I do drink it when there's leftover in the bowl I've been dipping my french dip sandwee in!!!!!

7. Aleisa

Looks great! I have done hot and fast. The only thing I dislike about it is I can't get as much smoke.

Happy smoken.

David

8. Yes so does he and he's been known to refill his bowl with it, but no brisket! 

9. redneck69

redneck69 Smoking Fanatic

looks good there smokinhusker

10. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

This looks great. Thanks, Alesia

Disco

11. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

Looks Great Alesia!!!
    I kinda gave up on brisket because it just takes soooooo long, I can get whole ribeyes for just a little more and they don't take near as long. Maybe I will try a hot and fast one just to see how I like it!

12. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Au Jus and some french bread for soppin', who needs meat?

Going to have to try this. Fast brisket means brisket more often. I like it!

Thank you Alesia

13. Thank you!
    Thanks!
    Thanks! I did a 12.5 lb and a 7 lb flat over Memorial Day and kept the temps at 275° and it still only took about the flat 7 hrs and the packer 13 hours. This was just a 6 lb point it really went fast at the 300° temp. I'll never do another low and slow. I've got another packer in the freezer but won't be doing it for a while. Hey if nothing else you can always do a flat, or get a packer and separate it. If I could get ribeye for the same price, I'd be doing that instead. Bought the briskets for $1.99 lb. Whole ribeye I bought was $4.99 lb but still a good price.
    Oh it sure beats the low and slow FH. I know what you mean about some good french bread and the Au Jus...yummy for sure.

14. so ms smoker

so ms smoker Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks great Alesia! Nothing wrong with turning up the heat and turning down the time.

Mike

15. Thanks Mike. I like the less time!!!

16. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Brisket point done hot and fast is one of my favorites! Yours looks outstanding.

17. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks good....all these testimonials to hot & fast means I'll be cranking up the knob on the watt burner for my own test....Willie

18. Thanks Chef! The higher temp certainly didn't hurt this one! Leftovers tonight for dinner here. I like the shorter times too!

19. Just saw this [​IMG]   you keep making me hungry!!  [​IMG]   

20. Thanks so much! Hang in there and smoke something!