• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

GRILLED OKRA

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Grilled Okra

For Those of you who like Okra and have never tried it grilled you don't know what you have been missing.

We Love Grilled Veggies and Okra is right at the top. Simple, Simple, Simple.

Take you Okra and give it a good rinsing, pat it dry, toss it in some EVOO and sprinkle with you favorite seasoning (I usually use SPOG) 

Throw them on the grill, turn them several times and when they start to get a little color they are done. It doesn't take long at all. Experiment a little see how done you like em and try different seasoning I have used my BBQ rub and it's great.

That's it couldn't be easier,

Here are a few pics

Easy Easy

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Thanks Gary!

Wish I had known about this when we were overloaded with okra a few weeks ago. I pickled most of it.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Looks tasty!

We can't get fresh ocean here! It all comes frozen (if you can find it) canned or pickled...

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 9, 2009
Very nice Gary!  We usually cut it up and bread it with corn meal, then fry it until very crisp (one of my favorite sides).  Don't know why it never occurred to me to try grilling it.  I'll have to give this a try.  Thanks for a new idea!

Red

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
That Okra looks delicious, nice color!
Never had it grilled, will have to try this.

Mmmmm fresh Okra, I like it anyway I can get it.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I enjoy the taste but not crazy about the mucilage. I am thinking marinating in Balsamic Vinegar, EVOO and Garlic before grilling. Would eliminate any chance of slime...JJ 

gary s

OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011

I enjoy the taste but not crazy about the mucilage. I am thinking marinating in Balsamic Vinegar, EVOO and Garlic before grilling. Would eliminate any chance of slime...JJ 
The grilling will take care of that  No Slime

Gary

whistech

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 21, 2009
Grilling okra is my second favorite way to cook it.    Fried being the first, but since my doctor fusses about my weight, I usually eat it grilled and it is delicious.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
We don't get a lot of okra here but if I see some I will give this a try, Gary!

Thanks

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
It sure looks good Gary!

Judy & I don't eat much okra, because of the texture.

But I can see grilling it takes that away.

Will have to give it a try!

Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.