Greetings from Saudi Arabia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HitManQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Hello everyone

I've been following the forum for a few years now, great community and a lot of great info and tips.

I was a smoking enthusist until around a couple of years ago where I decided to turn it into a mini bussniess as there were no smokehouses in my country.

Working with the most unefeccient offset barrel smoker (no other options available, nor anyone who can custom make one from a tank)

Happy to have joined

Thanks everybody for the warmest welcome ever
Welcome to the board! What woods are available for smoking there?
The only type of local wood here is acacia which i dont really like, so i'm sticking with apple and hickory imported from the US.

If you can find someone with some welding skills you can have a offset made out of something as simple as a oil drum or steel tank and some plate steel.

Or you could build a traditional smoke house with the help with some basic carpentry and/or masonry skills.

Unfortunately i couldn't find anyone who can build an offset smoker. But I sure am thinking about a brick one :)

What kind of meats do you smoke over there in Saudi Arabia? Lamb? Mutton? Beef?
Anything more exotic?

I usually do beef brisket, chuck, short ribs and chicken. Sometimes lamb shanks or even salmon. might try camel meat next ;)

Welcome to the board! What woods are available for smoking there?
Oh and sometimes when i'm lucky oak.

We have weber chips in stores but no chunks and no logs. At least not in my city (which is the capital). Only store that sells logs is in another city and i get it shipped from there

How is the quality of the Halal meat there? Obviously fresh...

Well. It is fresh. But not really that great (i'm talking about beef) the quality varies a lot as there is no grading system or anything like that.
I get most of my meat imported from australia (chilled premium black angus). Canadian AAA is hard to find and for some reason we don't have american meat yet (i think soon they'll start importing from the US)
Lamb on the other hand is mostly good

Hehehe unfortunately no, as it's prohibited in islam to eat pork, so i only get to enjoy it while abroad ;)

I lived in the UAE for a couple of years and the challenges of getting good pork is what prompted me to get in to smoking meats upon my return to the USA. I feel your plight, and I'm sure it is much harder (or impossible?) to get pork in Riyadh than Dubai.

Welcome!

Reactions: HitManQ
texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cold, cold day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Reactions: HitManQ
I lived in the UAE for a couple of years and the challenges of getting good pork is what prompted me to get in to smoking meats upon my return to the USA. I feel your plight, and I'm sure it is much harder (or impossible?) to get pork in Riyadh than Dubai.

Welcome!

Hehehe you got that right, i think foreigners here buy pork in the black market as if they were buying drugs. Dubai is like vegas to us
Man Mcdonalds had to change the name of "hamburger" to beefburger because some people thought it has something to do with ham not hamburg germany

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky