Greetings from Saint Helena

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bossybullfrog

Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Saint Helena, CA
I received a new Rec Tec smoker for Christmas. I have a few questions I am hoping some folks can possibly help with.

- The pellet hopper holds a lot! of pellets - I filled it with oak but now I want to switch to fruit wood so I need to scoop out the oak. My questions is how much pellets should I fill the hopper with for a 1 time or about 6 hour smoke.

- So far I've made Tritips, Brisket and Pork Ribs. I am wondering if I can smoke a pork shoulder and make pulled pork from that. Anyone ever done this?

Thanks so much for your help....I am really looking forward to many amazing meals on this smoker.

AvXj29b.jpg

You can certainly make pulled pork from a shoulder but I (and I think most) always use the butt. Cook to about 205 internal and don't be alarmed by the stall around 160.

Shoulder makes good PP.

As for how many pellets for a 6 hour smoke. There are too many variables to know; smoking temp, type and brand of pellet, outside temp, what you are actually smoking. I assume they don’t have a quick change pellet shoot (I don’t have a Rec Tec). My Traeger has one and it is a nice feature.

You could add a known quantity of pellets and do the 6 hour smoke and then see how many you have left. Again, that would be the approximate amount of pellets used if all the other variables are the same.

I’m a little surprised Rec Tec doesn’t have a quick change pellet shoot. They are great pellet grills nonetheless.

Reactions: Bossybullfrog
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky