Greetings from Indiana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Corey John

Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
West Lafayette, IN
Hello fellow BBQ enthusiasts!

My name is Corey and I am an emerging outdoor cooker and fascinated by the diverse world of BBQ. I have fairly decent grilling and direct heat skills. I grew up in Central California and was raised on Santa Maria style BBQ, so direct/indirect was all I knew. My Grandpa and I even did several large Santa Maria Style cookouts, cooking Tri-Tip and chicken for over 100 people at a time.
When I moved to the Midwest, I fell in love with low and slow. I am just now learning the art. I love making rubs and sauces and I am honing my smoking skills before I invest too much on equipment. (It is coming though!) I currently have several grills and an old school Brinkmann Electric that I am hoping to convert to charcoal soon. (I will probably post another thread for help on this).
I am excited to learn anything I can about this art and I would love to hear about any influential books, sites, or pitmasters that have been influential to anybody's growth as a BBQ cook.

Cheers,
Corey

Welcome to the board! We will be glad to help you with any advice. I'm next door in Ohio but I have a few Indiana connections.

welcome from your old state, look at Jeffs website. Tons of info on there and he has written a book as well. I enjoy watching the Aaron Franklin videos. Hope this helped a little.

Welcome from another Hoosier. I've just joined myself but was wondering what part of the great state of Indiana you call home? I'm in northwest area myself.

Frank

Welcome, welcome!
If you convert to charcoal with the electric, you can check out some of the ECB mod threads from over the years.

Have fun!
ECB= El Cheapo Brinkman

Welcome to the site. Glad you joined us

Chris

Welcome, welcome!
If you convert to charcoal with the electric, you can check out some of the ECB mod threads from over the years.

Have fun!
ECB= El Cheapo Brinkman

Rings R Us- Thanks for the advice! I am having trouble finding a specific thread on modifying my Electric Brinky to Charcoal. Maybe I am not looking right.. Anyway I am going to post to a new thread and see if anyone has done this! Thanks

Welcome Corey!

Looking forward to seeing your cooks- particularly your tri-tip rub recipes and method.
Oh... and you might check out your local Craigslist or the like for a used smoker. They pop up there all the time for super cheap and might save you the trouble of converting your ECB. I just missed out on an a barely used WSM 22 that went for $50.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky