Green oak Gona be ready in 2 months

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2016
IMG_7882.JPG
IMG_7884.JPG
IMG_7877.JPG
I'm hoping to season this nice white oak in couple months becuase there so thin. First time trying this. I may stack them and put 1"x 1" wood in between for good air flow.

IMG_7886.jpg
23" diameter. I had a lot of chips covering my shoes.

What's the order code on Amazon to get the FedEx driver to cut your wood? :D
In my experience it takes 3-4 months to season -hence the word season.Stacking in log cabin fashion will help with airflow.

Those rounds (slices) will be ready first, because it's ALL End Grain!!

That's why When you Kiln Dry Lumber the ends are painted to keep the Ends from drying too fast.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Time to season is widely variable on where you live.
If you'd like to speed it up, move some indoors where it will be in a warmer, dryer, climate.
Also a fan moving the air would help. Just a simple box fan on low.

Remember, wood needs to be stacked so a squirrel can get through it, but not the cat chasing the squirrel. That allows for good air circulation for drying.

I always found a year was good. Your discs are going to crack. No big deal for unprocessed ashes, but bad for decorative projects.

Time to season is widely variable on where you live.
If you'd like to speed it up, move some indoors where it will be in a warmer, dryer, climate.
Also a fan moving the air would help. Just a simple box fan on low.

Remember, wood needs to be stacked so a squirrel can get through it, but not the cat chasing the squirrel. That allows for good air circulation for drying.

I always found a year was good. Your discs are going to crack. No big deal for unprocessed ashes, but bad for decorative projects.
That is called checking,from a 45 yr. veteran in woodworking

These are super thin so I'm hoping they will season fast for the smoker.

I didn't know you were talking about the rounds.I was looking at the split wood that isn't even oak!:oops: The thin rounds will season quick like Bear said.

I didn't know you were talking about the rounds.I was looking at the split wood that isn't even oak!:oops: The thin rounds will season quick like Bear said.
my grandfather,another woodworker, took a 2" thick round from an oak log, after it checked and then cut the log in three pieces ,and matching the grain glued it back together,still together today.Save yourself a nice round that grain in wood in pic of you with chaisaw is beautiful. I keep forgetting this is a bbq forum not this old house.

What's the order code on Amazon to get the FedEx driver to cut your wood? :D
In my experience it takes 3-4 months to season -hence the word season.Stacking in log cabin fashion will help with airflow.

I helped him with the boxes everyday so he helps me cut up my wood. Jk

Some people say they go 6 months

I'd say it depends on thickness, temp and wind, also how well it's coverd. I've got some other oak been seasoning a year and it's still. It ready. Cut 12". I think keeping the rain off it helps a lot. I hate the rain on my wood

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Relative humidity (dew point) is the determining factor. A cord of "green" wood sitting in 95 degree temp with a 75 degree dew point (Shreveport, LA) will take much longer to season than a cord of "green" wood sitting in 95 degree temp with a 20 degree dew point (Ft. Hancock, TX).

Other factors also play in the equation, such as air flow, ambient temperature and if the wood is protected from the environment (rain).

Wood always seeks what is called equilibrium moisture content or EMC. Read all about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_drying

541594F2-5D41-4E1D-A141-31857315C242.jpeg
C5D23B78-8C63-40C0-BBC4-21B800286B80.jpeg
Just wanna say this method works well. I’ve been using it for over a month now and it burns very well!really liking the coals I get from the oak wood. Found some red oak that arborist were cutting down and I asked them for a piece so I tossed it in my fedex truck. Going to test it in couple months to see what I think about it vs the white oak I use.

Green white oak is popular and still used often for boatbuilding as well as whiskey barrels. White oak is waterproof but red is not. I've steamed ribs (for a boat LOL) and was quite amazed just how flexible it got. Crazy. Not my pic though...
ry%3D400

Totally agree it's all about EMC. Gonna dry tons faster in the garage or house not subject to humidity outside. Oak is becoming my favorite too. Blew my mind just how much a difference it made on PP. Game changer.

I disagree because I’ve had wood in my garage and it will stay crack free for a couple weeks or much more. The day I put it outside it gets bunch of cracks in it. The wind is what dries it really well I think. The wood that I’m making into tables is in my house so it will dry much slower, if I were to let it dry out side it would be cracked in no time. My humidity on my weather gauge says the humidity 80 percent out side and 40 inside but the wood dries way faster outside. That’s just what I found from personal experience. And seen this happen many times

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky