Goose/Pork Jalapeno & Chedder Smoke Sausage snack links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That’s some awesome sausage. I have some goose and duck breast that are sausage quality and this looks like a great recipe.

Thanks fellas. Another thought occurred to me, next time I might take some additional de-seeded jalapenos-say 1/2 pound or so- and put them in a blender to puree and mix that in. Would give a better 'fresh' jalapeno pop over dried powdered jalapeno I would think. You might try that myownidaho.

Heyo IDS, I am wondering if you wouldn't mind expanding on how closely you followed the recipe from Len Poli vs your own smoked sausage recipe? IE, the NFDM and AC Vinegar as well as the spice mixture. Have some goose in the freezer itching to get smoked.... Thanks in advance!

I used Len Poli's recipe just to get me in the ball park on amounts for jalapeno, cheese, and sugar.

I used my basic sausage base seasoning but subtracted out the cayenne powder and substituted red pepper flakes.

I keep all my sausage recipes as 25# of meat. I rarely make batches smaller than that. Here is what I used:

15# goose and/or duck meat
15# pork shoulder 80/20
4.5# pork fat
2# sharp cheddar (could go 2.5~3# if you like a lot of cheese)
1.5# de-seeded de-veined fresh green jalapenos (grind through 6mm plate with meat)

Seasoning mix for 25# of meat:
(I only used 25# of the grind for this recipe. The other 9.5# was used in a different recipe)
6 TBSPS. Mortans fine pickle salt (108g)
1 oz. cure #1
2.5 TBSPS. Black pepper
1 TBSP red pepper flakes
2.5 TBSPS Monosodium glutamate (30g) (if leaving out, MSG is 60% the sodium of regular salt so adjust salt accordingly)
1 TBSP. granulated onion
1 TBSP. granulated garlic
2 TBSPS. Paprika
4 TBSPS. Dark Brown sugar

5 cups NFDM
2.5 cups very cold water
1/4 cup cider vinegar

I went 40/60 goose to pork. You could go higher on the goose if you want...up to 60%.
I'd go 2# jalapenos or leave the seeds and veins in. Or, take an additional 1/2 pound and puree in the blender to kick up the jalapeno flavor.
Could add more sugar if you want more sweetness, this was just a background to accent the heat and the cheese.
I'd go more vinegar, but subtract out some water. 3/8~1/2 cup total for more tart. Leave this out if you use pickled jalapenos from the store. I used fresh.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller and eh1bbq
Some recipes I will share, others I hold close and guard that took me years to develop. This one is one I don't mind sharing. Enjoy!

Oh- applewood and pecan pellets and sawdust for smoke.

I was just going to experiment with deer bologna and cheese and Jalapeno. I just bought hi temp cheese and see you are using regular cheese. Any difference in the product using regular cheese?

it will melt above 130* on reheating. Not a problem for me. They do not make sharp cheddar high temp cheese, or at least I have not been able to find it. If you warm smoke and keep the smokehouse temp under 170* and pull the links 144~150* you should not have problems.

Follow a pasteurization chart. The higher the temp you cook the links, the less moist they will be. @144, the links are super moist.

I am making 2 1/2" bologna and about 20# of 4 test recipes this weekend. I was always told 156° to be safe. I am mixing 10# of deer with 10# of 73% ground beef.

Are you sausage links to be recooked, or eaten as they come off at 145°?

They can be eaten as is.
Daveomak has posted the pasteurization charts put out by the USDA on other threads. Maybe he will see this and post them here for you, or you can use the search function to find them.

The only need to cook to a higher temp would be if you are looking to dry out the summer sausage to a certain point.

Indaswamp, I did some reading on this and it has to do with temperature + the length of time you hold the heat. I also spent some time PMing with Daveomak, which supplied me these charts. My other reading found hardly any bad bacteria Multiply over 122° and nothing over 128° and die shortly higher than that. So you can obtain these temps and rest at them for a while it should be safe and kill the bacteria. 160° just means once the temp probe beeps you are all good, no waiting.

You can cook to 140 and all be fine as this chart shows you have to hold it for at least 9 minutes to kill all bad bacteria. When is says 5.0 Log that means 5x's the ten times reduction or plus 5 0's. 1 Log is 10 times reduction of bacteria and 5 Log is 100,000 reduction. They use 7 Log as a Million times which I think means couldn't ever even possible grow back without being reinfected.
non-intact-pasteurization-table-2-jpg.346982

As you can see from this other chart, 140 can be fine but 145 is the real break over on topping the hill on bad bacteria. This one shows 12 minutes at 140 and only 4 at 145 and over course next to nothing at 160 as we would know.
pasteurizing-fish-jpg.353046

BTW, I remember you from DHC and didn't know you where this into smoking meats. Waterfowl as sucked bad out my way with warmer weather and newbies educating the birds. I'm glad Duck Dynasty went off TV. :D

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky