Fermented and Dried Goose/Pork Jalapeno and Cheese Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I had a buddy from Kansas come down end of June to go offshore fishing. He brought me a bunch of goose meat to process so first up was to make some snack sticks. My garden is growing good and I have a lot of jalapenos coming in so I picked 3.5# for the sticks. I deseeded, diced and dried them in my dehydrator. For use in the sticks, I rehydrated the peppers in 1 cup of dry sherry wine.

I used flavor of Italy starter culture because it was the fastest culture I have (plus it comes in a 50g pouch and is enough for 200kg. of product).

This is the first time I've used my new 30# LEM motorized stuffer for sticks. WOW is all I have to say! I was able to stuff the entire batch - 110ft. of 19mm collagen casing - in 32 minutes! All with the 1/2" stuffer tube too!!
Here they are hanging in my smokehouse to ferment.
1595564402688.jpeg

I used my Amazin smoker tube to apply some cold smoke to the sticks overnight. This kept the temp. between 77-89*F for optimum fermentation. The fermentation was complete after 20 hours with a final pH of 4.8...

Then I warmed up the smokehouse to dry the sticks and smoke them to get some color on them. I used cherry and hickory chunks in my C.I. pan over the propane. After 4 hours of 120-150*F smoke, this is what they looked like:
1595564403573.jpeg

1595564404289.jpeg

After a cold water bath to cool, then hanging to dry/bloom, I put all 30# of sticks in my drying chamber.

1595564404819.jpeg

Will let them go 5-7 days then check them... I'm shooting for 40-45% weight loss.

I only used about 10# of the goose meat and have plenty more left so there will be more snack sticks on deck after this batch is finished. I think I'll do some hot cajun sticks next time....

Last edited:
Wow, those look awesome!!!

We make duck and goose sticks every yr after the season ends, this yr my house was broke into the dirtbags stole all of my ducks and geese along with 2 full rib roasts, wild pig, venison, elk and bison.

Can you tell me what the fermentation process does to the sticks?

Sounds and looks great! Bunch of nice looking sticks

Ryan

Wow those goose sticks look great! I never had goose.

The peppers rehydrated in sherry sound like a pretty cool idea too. Did the flavor carry over?

Wow, those look awesome!!!

Can you tell me what the fermentation process does to the sticks?
Thanks forktender!
The fermentation process drops the pH to provide the tang. It also provides the acidity for a shelf stable product once dried.

Wow those goose sticks look great! I never had goose.

The peppers rehydrated in sherry sound like a pretty cool idea too. Did the flavor carry over?
Thanks xray!
The dehydration process pasteurizes the peppers (I let them go for 12 hours @138*), the rehydration in sherry helps to ensure no pathogens are introduced into the sticks for long term storage.
The jalapeno peppers were freshly picked so they were very flavorful. No flavor loss, plenty of jalapeno flavor in the sticks. I did remove the veins and seeds so they were not hot. I also ground about 1/4 cup dried jalapenos into a powder in my spice grinder to mix with the seasoning prior to adding it to the meat paste to help distribute the jalapeno flavor better. It worked.

The sherry flavor also stayed with the jalapenos too, but it is very subtle. I like how they turned out.

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
We make duck and goose sticks every yr after the season ends, this yr my house was broke into the dirtbags stole all of my ducks and geese along with 2 full rib roasts, wild pig, venison, elk and bison.
Man what a low down thing to do! Sucks you lost all that good meat that way!
What recipe do you use for the sticks? Or do you buy the seasoning?

Honk Honk what a wonderful looking snack. glad to see you back on.

Warren
Thanks Warren, I've still been cookin and smokin...just took a break from posting on the forum. Been spending a lot of time at the fishing camp this summer. Fishing has been real good.
Those look amazeballs inda! I can’t wait to get my drying chamber up and running!
Thanks 73! I need to order some 60~65mm beef middles so I can make some calabrese salami. That is next on my list after the snack sticks...

Thanks Warren, I've still been cookin and smokin...just took a break from posting on the forum. Been spending a lot of time at the fishing camp this summer. Fishing has been real good.

Thanks 73! I need to order some 60~65mm beef middles so I can make some calabrese salami. That is next on my list after the snack sticks...
I’ve been ordering from craft butchers pantry left and right. They even have true 52mm hog casings. Not sure what ima do w those yet but it’ll be something good for sure.

I was looking at those 53mm hog casings....I'm thinkin andouille....the hog casings are much thinner than beef middles and sometimes the beef middles can get a little chewy in a gumbo.

Reactions: 73saint
I was looking at those 53mm hog casings....I'm thinkin andouille....the hog casings are much thinner than beef middles and sometimes the beef middles can get a little chewy in a gumbo.
Honestly, I was thinking about those for that cajun sausage of yours, but I think you’re right about the andouille.

Those look fantastic! Whats your thoughts on the taste if Italy compared to the FLC? As in flavor? Do you taste a difference?

Both cultures need time for the flavor bacteria to work their magic. Snack sticks dry so fast that they really don't get a chance to do their thing. It's the Lactic acid bacteria that are the main players for the pH drop.

Chr Hasen LHP culture is the one I was thinking of for fast acting acidification. would be perfect for snack sticks...it can also handle temps. just above 100*.

Both cultures need time for the flavor bacteria to work their magic. Snack sticks dry so fast that they really don't get a chance to do their thing. It's the Lactic acid bacteria that are the main players for the pH drop.
Yea I understand that. Ive done a lot of fermenting with the flc . I was just curious if the taste of Italy gave a different flavor profile or not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky