good friday salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aussie84

Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
g'day

it is good friday today and iam going to smoke up a 1.75kg atlantic salmon.  so far i have marinated it over night and patted it dry, did not rinse.  it is now sitting around to tackyfy up before i use one of my toys on it, dunno which one yet.

the marinade was.

a lot of honey lathered over

a couple of kaffer lime leaves very finely sliced

cracked black peppper

garlic powder

splash of tabasco

and whole bottle of "au wines" off dry riesling

here are some photos, more as the project progresses.

bdc0c9ea_goodfridaysalmon001.jpg

d74ce377_goodfridaysalmon002.jpg

as you can see, there is still pepper and stuff on it, i did not rinse on the taking out of the fridge.  those flavours are tooo good to wash out.

more soon

kevin

'K

the boring bit, sparking up the lump charcoal and methodizing the WSM.

now, i had no wood chunks, fortunatly i have some alder pellets which are of the TRAEGER kind. i made 2 pouches about 1/3 cup each, with a couple of holes punched in them. i am holding these out untill i am ready to put the salmon in. ( want lots of smoke )

photos

Australian red gum lump charcoal

81be43c6_goodfridaysalmon004.jpg

just the one chiminey load

2ab4ffd3_goodfridaysalmon006.jpg

the parcel and the pellets

4d97fe3e_goodfridaysalmon005.jpg

now just waiting for the temp to drop to 225 or so..

more to follow

kevin

'K

i have not used any rub, i am going to let the flavours of the marinade and the smoke carry this through.

more photos.

8b2d7ef5_goodfridaysalmon008.jpg

7b19d6a3_goodfridaysalmon009.jpg

perfect smoke from 2 pouches of pellets each only 1/3 cup.  20mins in and still a nice almost can see flow.

dcb38a2f_goodfridaysalmon.jpg

3a517c46_goodfridaysalmon010.jpg

i will leave you alone for a while, going to let the WSM do it's magic for 1.5hrs or so

kevin

sorry to leave my post and not finish this 'till now.  went down the river to fish for some cod and yellow belly, put a couple of pots down, and while i was there we forgot our worries and the salmon and kicked back and enjoyed fishing with your mates to the truest tradition.  thankfully the wife was on board and she did the last few photos.

the smoke got no thicker than that which is in the photos, we had to put a couple more pouches on, which i made up before leaving my post.  the flavour was pretty good, we could taste the wine and honey with the kiss of the smoke.  the smoke was not as dominate as usual, but i think i like it better with just this kiss.

photos

75fb4cd0_goodfridaysalmon012.jpg

it slid off the mat with no worries.

651f228d_goodfridaysalmon013.jpg

bd250a40_goodfridaysalmon014.jpg

doing some quail and pheasent on monday, will try to focus fully on this project, but you never now.

kevin

That looks awesome. I had to google the kaffer lime leaves as I wasn't familiar with that. I think I know where to get some. :)

meateater,

if you cannot find kaffer lime leaves, bay leaves will do fine.

kevin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky