Gonna cook up a slab of spare ribs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geezer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 24, 2017
Rural Southern Missouri
Depending on what the weather does I may cook these tomorrow or wait until Wednesday. Right now its 33 degrees, raining and windy. Screw that. 
icon_mrgreen.gif

Decided to mix up a rub recipe I used to use but haven't in a good while. Its somewhat different, especially from store bought rubs. 

1 cup brown sugar.

1/2 cup sea salt (or kosher)

2 tablespoons sweet paprika. 

1 tablespoon cumin

1 tablespoon celery seed

1 tablespoon ground chipotle

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon coriander

1/2 teaspoon all spice

Going to marinate the ribs in the fridge in some Henderson's Relish.

Good sized slab of spares.

More later of course. 

Great start!

I'm in!

Al
sausage.gif

Looks like they can marinate until tomorrow. I can deal with the 28 degrees it is right now, but add in the wind and that becomes a bridge too far. 
biggrin.gif

I did get my apple pellets from A-maZe-n. Now once the tube deal shows I can try my hand at some smoked cheese. 

Okay, what a lovely afternoon it turned out to be. Sure, it never got out of the upper 30's, but the wind didn't blow and the sunshine was glorious! 

Oh yeah I enjoyed a few pops and smoked a great cigar, just a really nice afternoon.

Anyway, so I'm cooking this slab of St. Louis style ribs at 275, normally I'll smoke these for 3 hours and then foil them a short time then put em back on the grill naked and lightly sauce them. Well, at 3 hours I knew these were basically already done, seems too quick,.... but still,...........they were. I checked their IT and it was 190. They had also pulled a bit on the bones. I should have just sauced them a bit and brought them in...................................but I didn't. I foiled them for 20 minutes, then sauced them for another 30.

As you can guess they were a bit over done. Not horrible, not dry, but over tender. 

The wife and kids loved them........................as I knew they would. But to me they were over cooked. Ugh! 
redface.gif

Over cooked or not.   

I wouldnt let them go by me.  

Looks great.

Your ribs look fantastic!

I love the bark on them!

My wife is the same way, she likes hers more done than me.

Point for some delicious looking ribs!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky