Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I find them to be good after 3 to 5 days. But, like you said, you can always put them back under a vacuum if they're not to your taste. That vacuum attachment is worth its weight in gold.

The wife informed me last night that we are out of pickles. I thought we had a couple of quarts left. Nope!

P7312702.jpg

This is my biggest batch yet. 10 pounds.

P7312703.jpg

Chillin while I get everything else prepped.

P7312706.jpg

Spices added. Along with 2 cloves of garlic each.

P7312708.jpg

Cukes packed. I'm also doing 3 pints of Jalapenos. They'll get stuffed. My last jars didn't last long.

P7312709.jpg

All vacuum packed and ready for a 3 day nap!

ha nice! I had to amazon dill seeds b/c I couldn't find them at any store near me. I did my first batch without them so I'm wondering how much different it will taste with them. (I did use a little more dill weed)

I'm not sure. I haven't done them without dill seeds. But with adding a touch more Dill I would think they'll be fine. I'm lucky to have found a local store that sells bulk spices at a very decent price.

Silly Question but if you leave them under vacuum seal, can they get to strong tasting? Open up and re-seal stop the process some? Not that I don't like a strong taste , but some may not.

Silly Question but if you leave them under vacuum seal, can they get to strong tasting? Open up and re-seal stop the process some? Not that I don't like a strong taste , but some may not.

That's a good question I was wondering too. I think I'm gonna run with keeping them vacuumed and if the last jar is too strong, I will do what you said for next batch.

I just opened my last jar a week ago . Been under vacuum since last August . I don't see a problem with it . This was talked about couple weeks ago , if you back track a bit you can read some others comments .

Go back to post 261 , some comments a Steve put up a pic .

I just opened my last jar a week ago . Been under vacuum since last August . I don't see a problem with it . This was talked about couple weeks ago , if you back track a bit you can read some others comments .

Go back to post 261 , some comments a Steve put up a pic .

These pickles do very well even After a long time. Though last August is a long time. I would be interested on how they came out

Here's a pic I took when I opened the jar . These had jalapenos in there as well . They were good . Still crisp .
20190712_124039.jpg

Personally for me 5-6 days under vacuum is perfect. They will continue to get stronger the longer they sit in the brine without any vacuum. Especially if you make a large batch & keep them for a few months, you will notice that they get much stronger, even without the vacuum. If you like real strong pickles I see nothing wrong in keeping them under vacuum for as long as you want.
Al

Thanks all for the reply. I think I will open half of them to take from under vacuum. I hate to let them get to terribly strong. ( would be fine for me I think) Will leave the others and see what happens.
Wonder about shelf life after opening? ( if they were to last :emoji_wink:)

Thanks all for the reply. I think I will open half of them to take from under vacuum. I hate to let them get to terribly strong. ( would be fine for me I think) Will leave the others and see what happens.
Wonder about shelf life after opening? ( if they were to last :emoji_wink:)

Kept in the fridge they will last a year. But, good look keeping them that long!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky