Fur and Fowl...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Took a trip to Montana recently and brought home some wild game. Had a great trip. Decided to cook some of it for dinner at a friend's house..

Sous Vide/ Grill Seared Pronghorn Back Strap, Brined/ Grilled Hungarian Partridge with Apricot Balsamic Glaze, Sweet Potato, Pecan Rice, and Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie.
IMG_20201108_172749.jpg

MmsPicture_20201107200003.jpeg

The Meyer Lemons were off my buddy's tree...fresh picked and juicy, juicy, juicy!!!

First time eating pronghorn. The young doe I shot was in an area with winter wheat so had not been eating sage. Wow is all I can say....very good and when sous vide; very tender! T'was an excellent meal!

Man jealous of this. Looks delicious
Thanks TNJAKE... I was apprehensive on the pronghorn at first because of all the bad things I've heard about the meat if they have been eating sage. My buddy assured me that this would not be the case where we would be hunting. He was right... damn fine...real damn fine meat. I'll definitely go and shoot another after the meal I had tonight!

Reactions: xray and TNJAKE
Great looking meal. And them pics with the birds and dog. Yeah that dog is like I did this. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: pa42phigh
That dog is watching a hand full of bird feathers focused intently upon them waiting to be released so he can chase the feathers in the wind. Great trick taught as a puppy for great pics. later in life....

Reactions: pa42phigh
great looking plate of food! Not a fan of sweets but if I do dive in... lemon Meringue is my go to favorite if I want some!

Too Cold for this Guy! Looks like a fine haul...JJ

Great looking meal.
Thanks Adam!

great looking plate of food! Not a fan of sweets but if I do dive in... lemon Meringue is my go to favorite if I want some!
Thanks FishAndBeer! I'm a fan myself of lemon pie...

Too Cold for this Guy! Looks like a fine haul...JJ
Thanks Chef! LOL! It was 87*F day before I left and I had on shorts and flip flops while Packing!!
Fine mess of birds for sure!! The food looks great. Meyer lemons are sooo good!
Thanks jcan222! The birds were fun. Lots of walking to help keep warm. I like meyer lemons, usually use more juice in the pie because it does not have as much of a bite as regular lemons, I just leave out an equal amount of water in the recipe.

Reactions: jcam222
The Meyer Lemons were off my buddy's tree...fresh picked and juicy, juicy, juicy!!!

First time eating pronghorn. The young doe I shot was in an area with winter wheat so had not been eating sage. Wow is all I can say....very good and when sous vide; very tender! T'was an excellent meal!

Holy cow, that's a freak'in awesome meal right there.
I don't care what those goats are eating I've never had a bad one, the key is to get the hide off ASAP and hung up in the breeze. (just like any other big game) We hang ours from the lumber rack on the truck in a cotton game bags so the 1 1/2- 2 1/2 hr drive back to camp cools them quickly. Speed goat is better than a good deer to me, we love them in our house.

Great looking plate up picture. Really like the dog pics, too.

Sounds like a memorable hunt.

When I read the post title I was expecting a Nutria and Cormorant smoke. :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky