FROZEN ribs again, this time STL’S

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh Yeah!!
Looks Great, Al !!
Also looks like something was after one of them, in the picture!!
Better cover them, or get your weapon out !!
Like.

Bear

Thank you Sir!
I’ll be sure to keep the AR handy!
Al

Another great looking Rack Al!

Thanks Brian!
Al

Al, you've convinced me to try this. I've got a rack of untrimmed spares in the freezer just waiting for some dry heat. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ray

Thanks Ray!
Let me know how your spares turn out!
Al

They look great Al. I too, am going to have to try smoking them frozen.

Rob

Thanks Rob!
I know it’s sometimes hard to try new things, especially if what your doing is perfect, but in this case it’s definitely worth a try!
Al

A master at work.

Your too kind John!!
Al

Nice gook Al, I’m also a fan of wet ribs. FYI could always do the trimming at the wrap stage vs the done stage.

We have switched from BB to SL for the most part as well all the venders leave the loin on now

Reactions: SmokinAl
Same situation that started this whole thing, we wanted ribs & wanted them today, not tomorrow. I have not been happy with WFF babybacks. The reason I bought my first order from them when they were just one store in S. Florida, was their BB’s did not have that loin meat on them, and they were wonderful. FF to today, they have the loin meat on them, so I switched to STL’s, or I trim the BB’s before smoking. Well if your smoking from frozen, trimming is not an option. So her we go!

View attachment 640379

Used Light EVOO for a binder this time with this rub I have been using on a lot of stuff. The EVOO stayed liquid for about 30 seconds, so the rub stuck to it & it got hard and formed a crust, so the rub didn’t fall off.

View attachment 640380
View attachment 640381

Then of course a dose of CBP & into the RT.

View attachment 640383

After about 3 hours I put a probe between a couple of bones.

View attachment 640384

It was getting some decent color, so I decided to wrap it, with the usual, butter, sugar, rub, honey, etc.

View attachment 640385

Out of the foil. Looks decent!

View attachment 640386

Some SBR’ Spicy

View attachment 640387

Done!!!!

View attachment 640390
View attachment 640391

I like wet ribs!

View attachment 640392

Oh yes the perfect 195 IT bite!

View attachment 640393

The best part is we just ate the outside ribs last night, so now we have the best for dinner tonight!!

View attachment 640394

If you guys haven’t tried this yet and the mood for ribs hits you, give it a try. Personally I think the end product is better when cooked frozen. The only drawback that I see is that you can’t do any trimming. And unfortunately this rack needed a lot of work. But it worked out, I just did the trimming after they were cooked. As you can see the middle section looks real good. So thanks for looking folks!
Al
Nice work Al - and I’m in agreement unfortunately on WF BBs - love the place but same issue like everywhere else on their BB. I knew I was in trouble when they sent me 6lb BBs!

Those look awesome. I just tossed a set of STL's on an hour or so ago with some killer hogs mixed with a jerk rub. Was going to try this but all I had in the freezer were some back ribs, and I was wanting either full spares or STL's so I grabbed these this morning. Next time....

I'm giving this a try today Al.....spare ribs on sale today for $0.99/#. I had seen full racks in the meat case during the week and thought those were marked down. Nope. These were sectioned 4-5 ribs at a time, then put in a foam tray, wrapped with cellophane, and frozen. I'm guessing these were trimmed in house at the store and saved up for a sale. Anyways, I remember seeing your thread on SMF and I want ribs TODAY!! LOL!!! So giving this a go....will let you know....

Nice gook Al, I’m also a fan of wet ribs. FYI could always do the trimming at the wrap stage vs the done stage.

We have switched from BB to SL for the most part as well all the venders leave the loin on now

Thanks, the only reason I didn’t trim at the wrap stage was because I like to take the best ribs out at the end for presentation, then munch on all the trimmings while everybody else gets the pretty ribs to eat!
Al

Nice work Al - and I’m in agreement unfortunately on WF BBs - love the place but same issue like everywhere else on their BB. I knew I was in trouble when they sent me 6lb BBs!

Thanks B!
6 lb BB’s, that is insane!!
Al

Beautiful ribs...again AL!
The master in action and love the flavor and color of the Killer Hogs !

Keith

Thanks Keith!
I used to make my own rub, but this one is so close in flavor to mine I just use it on everything. It gives a better color than mine too!
Al

Those look awesome. I just tossed a set of STL's on an hour or so ago with some killer hogs mixed with a jerk rub. Was going to try this but all I had in the freezer were some back ribs, and I was wanting either full spares or STL's so I grabbed these this morning. Next time....

Thank you Sir!
Looking forward to seeing the results from some of you other guys!
Al

I'm giving this a try today Al.....spare ribs on sale today for $0.99/#. I had seen full racks in the meat case during the week and thought those were marked down. Nope. These were sectioned 4-5 ribs at a time, then put in a foam tray, wrapped with cellophane, and frozen. I'm guessing these were trimmed in house at the store and saved up for a sale. Anyways, I remember seeing your thread on SMF and I want ribs TODAY!! LOL!!! So giving this a go....will let you know....

WOW, .99 cents lb.
Great time to experiment, can’t wait to see how they come out for you!
Al
wow, great price for those ribs at 99cents a lb!!
Agreed!!!
Al

Same situation that started this whole thing, we wanted ribs & wanted them today, not tomorrow. I have not been happy with WFF babybacks. The reason I bought my first order from them when they were just one store in S. Florida, was their BB’s did not have that loin meat on them, and they were wonderful. FF to today, they have the loin meat on them, so I switched to STL’s, or I trim the BB’s before smoking. Well if your smoking from frozen, trimming is not an option. So her we go!

View attachment 640379

Used Light EVOO for a binder this time with this rub I have been using on a lot of stuff. The EVOO stayed liquid for about 30 seconds, so the rub stuck to it & it got hard and formed a crust, so the rub didn’t fall off.

View attachment 640380
View attachment 640381

View attachment 640383

View attachment 640384

It was getting some decent color, so I decided to wrap it, with the usual, butter, sugar, rub, honey, etc.

View attachment 640385

View attachment 640386

Some SBR’ Spicy

View attachment 640387

Done!!!!

View attachment 640390
View attachment 640391

I like wet ribs!

View attachment 640392

View attachment 640393

The best part is we just ate the outside ribs last night, so now we have the best for dinner tonight!!

View attachment 640394

If you guys haven’t tried this yet and the mood for ribs hits you, give it a try. Personally I think the end product is better when cooked frozen. The only drawback that I see is that you can’t do any trimming. And unfortunately this rack needed a lot of work. But it worked out, I just did the trimming after they were cooked. As you can see the middle section looks real good. So thanks for looking folks!
Al
Yessir!!!! you just made my Sunday race day viddles decision. we always have ribs in the freezer. unfortunately that means a . Sunday morning trip to wally world for back up lump and apple chunks. Garcias!

WOW, .99 cents lb.
Great time to experiment, can’t wait to see how they come out for you!
Al
Well, the ribs cooked great. But the ribs themselves were not the greatest....Taste was off....like they had been frozen for a while. Some spots of fat had off flavors. I may debone, trim the fat, and use in beans...not enjoyable eating as ribs.

Well, the ribs cooked great. But the ribs themselves were not the greatest....Taste was off....like they had been frozen for a while. Some spots of fat had off flavors. I may debone, trim the fat, and use in beans...not enjoyable eating as ribs.
that's too bad, hopefully just the meat works good for you in the beans.

Yessir!!!! you just made my Sunday race day viddles decision. we always have ribs in the freezer. unfortunately that means a . Sunday morning trip to wally world for back up lump and apple chunks. Garcias!

Sounds like a plan!
Good luck!
Al

I’m sorry to hear that, but even you must have thought that for .99, there could be a problem. Hopefully the meat is salvageable!
Al

that's too bad, hopefully just the meat works good for you in the beans.

Agreed!!
Al

View attachment 640379

View attachment 640380
View attachment 640381

View attachment 640383

View attachment 640384

View attachment 640385

View attachment 640386

Some SBR’ Spicy

View attachment 640387

Done!!!!

View attachment 640390
View attachment 640391

I like wet ribs!

View attachment 640392

View attachment 640393

View attachment 640394

Al
challenge accepted. agreed tht no trimming of silver skin removal. I gravitate between babies and STL. good cut of babies makes for a better cut and presentation due to shorter bones. IMHO. these were Winn Dickme STL. 2.99/lb.
great way to be lazy and not plan ahead.
IMG-3898.jpg

I missed these somehow. I’m going to try this frozen method for sure. Al that bite off the bone pic is awesome and exactly how I like my ribs. Btw for me I’ll take spares over bb’s every time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky