fresh corn question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
it will soon be harvest time and with that in mind , i got to wondering how other people prepare fresh corn to go in the freezer ,
i know how we do it, but got to think there must be other methods that people use

We just take the corn off the cob and freeze it in ziplocks.i tried freezing on the cob once but it just didn't taste good to me. I'll be watching to see how others do it.

Reactions: zwiller
the way we do it is like this : we have one of those corn cutters that has a long board that has a wide groove for the whole ear of corn to lay in and has a blade followed by a shredder followed by a scraper bar , we blanch the corn then run it across the cutter catching the creamed corn in a pan then bag it and freeze it, we only do creamed corn for the freezer

Have the same cutter, works great. Prefer to blanch, cool and freeze. IMO corn frozen on the cob or off without blanching doesn't taste right.
SWMBO and SIL claim no taste difference - the debate continues.

Reactions: forktender
I either vac seal on the cob with the husks still on, or cut off the cob and freeze. I quit blanching because we haven't really found much difference.

C cal1956
Where in the heck do you live that has corn ready to harvest, Mexico, South America?

I live in the heart of corn country in CA Delta region, this is the way my Nona saved corn for the winter months in the freezer.

She would boil a 2 gallon stock pot full of water, in the water she would add and dissolve 1 cup of non iodized salt and 1 cup of white sugar. Then she would blanch the ears of corn for 20 to 30 seconds, then straight into an ice bath that had 1/2 a can of salt to make the water damn near freezing cold.

I vividly remember this step because she would make me stir in the salt by hand to dissolve it. She would leave them in the salt bath for a few minutes, then rinse them in fresh water. Then lay them out on a towel to dry them off before freezing them.

I still do it this way today because you can't tell it was frozen once you cook or grill them, at least I can't.

I freeze them in a paper grocery sack, then once they are frozen I take them out and vacuum seal them 4 cobs per bag, to use during the winter months. I used to have her old wooden corn slicer/creamer, which sounds like the same type that you have. Thieves stole a box out of my garage when we were moving, and it was in there. Could you post up a pic of your slicer for me? I need to replace mine.

Thanks.
Dan.

Reactions: gmc2003
She would boil a 2 gallon stock pot full of water, in the water she would add and dissolve 1 cup of non iodized salt and 1 cup of white sugar. Then she would blanch the ears of corn for 20 to 30 seconds, then straight into an ice bath that had 1/2 a can of salt to make the water damn near freezing cold.

I vividly remember this step because she would make me stir in the salt by hand to dissolve it. She would leave them in the salt bath for a few minutes, then rinse them in fresh water. Then lay them out on a towel to dry them off before freezing them.
What kind of corn?

Here in New England we have native sweet corn and adding salt/sugar and blanching just isn't necessary before freezing.

Yes for god sakes, Colorado temps can't be all that much different, i haven't even been able to till and put a garden in yet. Freezes at night still.
Or did you grow in a greenhouse ?

i said it would SOON be harvest time meaning summer , sorry for the confusion here is a picture of one like the one we have

Attachments

• image_2022-05-02_153016078.png
    image_2022-05-02_153016078.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Nodak21
the reason i started this thread was we have always had good results putting creamed corn in the freezer but last year the corn got over blanched ( don't ask me how ) must have been left in the hot water to long but it ruined all 300 ears

I don't remember much else about what my Mother used to do with corn, but being it was before many people had Vacuum sealers. My Mother used to remove the corn from the cob, and pack it in the old Wax coated cardboard Milk Cartons. I don't know if this was a good thing or a bad thing, but we had loose corn for Suppers all year this way.

Bear

We have the Olathe Sweet sweet corn here. We blanch less than a minute, cool then cut off the cob, bag and freeze. Even at the sweet corn festival they have huge water vats they blanch in to serve, 30 seconds is all they do.

we used to get the Olathe Sweet corn until a couple of years ago then we found some called " peaches and cream " that is even sweeter , the reason my wife said she over blanched it was someone ( idiot ) told her to leave it in the hot water till it changed color (2-3 minutes ) it RUINED 300 ears doing it that way . ended up throwing it all away we are NOT about to make that mistake again

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Never knew you could freeze corn on the cob. That is the only way I will eat it when I treat myself to it. Here on Long Island , NY we have some super sweet corn in the late summer. I am not sure I have enough freezer space that I would want to take it away from meat.

I live in the heart of corn country in CA Delta region, this is the way my Nona saved corn for the winter months in the freezer.
🤣not to hijack a great thread that I’m saving for all this great info for late summer, but growing up in Iowa I don’t ever remember people talking about California corn! The Midwest is corn country!

Edit: Or I’m an a$$ and you meant California’s corn country?

🤣not to hijack a great thread that I’m saving for all this great info for late summer, but growing up in Iowa I don’t ever remember people talking about California corn! The Midwest is corn country!
And for me it was always and still is Long Island corn. We may need to set up a country wide swap to settle this...lol

And for me it was always and still is Long Island corn. We may need to set up a country wide swap to settle this...lol
I’m in! Nothing beats Iowa sweet corn! I thought Long Island only had organic neighborhood gardens🤣

Brokenhandle Brokenhandle is my go to for this, but until I was in high school I never even knew they grew corn outside the Midwest! I’ve de-tassled a few hundred miles of corn! I’ve had a lot of time to ponder🤣

Never knew you could freeze corn on the cob. That is the only way I will eat it when I treat myself to it. Here on Long Island , NY we have some super sweet corn in the late summer. I am not sure I have enough freezer space that I would want to take it away from meat.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky