fresh corn question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m in! Nothing beats Iowa sweet corn! I thought Long Island only had organic neighborhood gardens🤣

Brokenhandle Brokenhandle is my go to for this, but until I was in high school I never even knew they grew corn outside the Midwest! I’ve de-tassled a few hundred miles of corn! I’ve had a lot of time to ponder🤣
No we actually have farms out east...of course nothing the size of those in the mid-west. We also have a thriving winery businesses that are pretty recognized around the country.

C cal1956
My bad for hijacking out of state pride. I will say I grew up blanching, then cutting the corn off the cob into ziplocks….well my grandma from gladbrook , Ia used wonderbread bags 🥰

C cal1956
My bad for hijacking out of state pride. I will say I grew up blanching, then cutting the corn off the cob into ziplocks….well my grandma from gladbrook , Ia used wonderbread bags 🥰
sadly, I have never removed corn from the cob always eat on the cob. Too high in carbs for my diabetes to eat it as often as I would like.

Reactions: mike243 and bauchjw
put 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron skillet add the cream corn with a little salt and black pepper, cook for 20-30 minutes and put it on a plate with homemade smoked sausage and cornbread and you have yourself a fine meal !!!

What kind of corn?

Here in New England we have native sweet corn and adding salt/sugar and blanching just isn't necessary before freezing.
Back then, it was your basic yellow corn now it Brentwood Super Sweet either white or bi colored or Brentwood Diamonds yellow corn.
I prefer the yellow or the bi color.
Sugar offsets the starchiness and loss of sweetness caused by the freezer.

we used to get the Olathe Sweet corn until a couple of years ago then we found some called " peaches and cream " that is even sweeter , the reason my wife said she over blanched it was someone ( idiot ) told her to leave it in the hot water till it changed color (2-3 minutes ) it RUINED 300 ears doing it that way . ended up throwing it all away we are NOT about to make that mistake again
Peaches and cream corn is my favorite, I wasn't sure if it was the real name or just what the local farmers named it.:emoji_thumbsup:

the owner of the farmers market that we go to said thats what it is called ,
as i understand it the" peaches and cream " is a fairly new breed of sweet corn, i can say that it is very sweet and oh so good !!!

Reactions: forktender
i found this on the internet as to why we blanch vegetables :
Why blanch vegetables before freezing? Blanching vegetables before freezing them is critical to their quality, but not their safety. Blanching is scalding vegetables in boiling water or steam for a short time. It is typically followed by quick, thorough cooling in very cold or ice water. Blanching stops enzyme actions which otherwise cause loss of flavor, color and texture. In addition, blanching removes some surface dirt and microorganisms, brightens color and helps slow vitamin losses.

I'll admit I'm as biased as Jed, bauchjw bauchjw is with Iowa sweet corn! But it's the only corn I've ever had so can't compare it to any others. We plant a yellow and white sweet corn...but not peaches and cream...that is a sweeter variety. We plant a 1/3 of an acre every year. Corn is cut off cobs, cooked in water, salt, and a touch of lemon juice then cooled in the tub in ice water, bagged in ziplocks and froze. Is there other ways...yes. But we love it this way, plus that's the way my wife's mother did it (and still helps) her grandma, and so on. Recently shared some with someone new to the area and they said it's the best he's ever had...so that works for me! Actually, two of our dogs had trained themselves to let us know when it was ready. Sadie (no longer with us) would go and start bringing the whole stalk up on the lawn about a week before it was ready. Her son, would go down but only pick the ears and bring them back to the house to eat them. So yes our lawn looked like a corn field at harvest but it was their reward for keeping the coons out of the patch.

Ryan

put 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron skillet add the cream corn with a little salt and black pepper, cook for 20-30 minutes and put it on a plate with homemade smoked sausage and cornbread and you have yourself a fine meal !!!
That's good, but to make it great be sure to add some crumbled bacon. :emoji_wink:

Reactions: cal1956
The midwest is mostly about field corn, not necessarily sweet corn. Sweet corn is pretty much grown nationwide.

That's what I figured---Field corn in the Mid-west.
I never tried to claim Pennsylvania grows the best Sweet Corn, because New Jersey is the best We've ever had. And I believe it's true, because a lot of people from surrounding states agree---NY, NJ, MD, DE, PA, and some of NE agree that New Jersey (The Garden State) grows the best sweet corn.
All of the other states only have their own residents saying theirs is best.

Just my 2 Piasters,
Bear

hey i don't care what part of the country its from i love it all !!!!!
my dad used to swear a watermelon from a certain county was steeter than the others , but truth be told they all tasted the same. but as long as he beleived it that was ok with me ,they were all red ripe and oh so good haha

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky