fresh corn question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BTW, the corn trick works well to shuck the corn before putting on the grill for some char if you like it that way.

As a kid here in Iowa my parents always bought a "pickup load" of sweetcorn. We would always invite the whole block over and the grownups would all bring their electric knives the cut the kernels off after us kids finished shucking. This job sucked!
As much corn as you could eat! Blanch in a bit of salt and sugar. Cut, and into the bags it went! Good to go for winter! Ad some butter as we cook in the dead of winter and heaven!

Now that I have an acreage, when my farmer finishes planting, he stops by with the 24 row planter and we fill it up with sweetcorn. 150 yards later.. The deer, raccoons, and all of us eat as much as want! Seed dealers always give away the seed when buying enough from them. We never have a shortage in Iowa!
My kids would always take the truck to the end of the mile and sell

As a kid here in Iowa my parents always bought a "pickup load" of sweetcorn. We would always invite the whole block over and the grownups would all bring their electric knives the cut the kernels off after us kids finished shucking. This job sucked!
As much corn as you could eat! Blanch in a bit of salt and sugar. Cut, and into the bags it went! Good to go for winter! Ad some butter as we cook in the dead of winter and heaven!

Now that I have an acreage, when my farmer finishes planting, he stops by with the 24 row planter and we fill it up with sweetcorn. 150 yards later.. The deer, raccoons, and all of us eat as much as want! Seed dealers always give away the seed when buying enough from them. We never have a shortage in Iowa!
My kids would always take the truck to the end of the mile and sell
Nice to see a fellow Iowan!

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
I have been to a few of the wineries and (a lot) breweries up in the Finger Lakes region. They are very good. I love going out that way.
yeah they have them up there too...That is about 7 hours from me so don't get there often. Last time was a salmon fishing trip near Steve H Steve H area.

yeah they have them up there too...That is about 7 hours from me so don't get there often. Last time was a salmon fishing trip near Steve H Steve H area.
A favorite of mine. Especially in the fall for you leaf peepers.

Or, go along side Seneca lake on RT14. Beautiful sites. And stay pretty much on this road. And you'll get to Watkins Glen state park. https://parks.ny.gov/parks/142/
A truly stunning park.

A favorite of mine. Especially in the fall for you leaf peepers.

Or, go along side Seneca lake on RT14. Beautiful sites. And stay pretty much on this road. And you'll get to Watkins Glen state park. https://parks.ny.gov/parks/142/
A truly stunning park.
Yup---Beautiful !!
We were at Watkins Glen 50 years ago, when Bear Jr was less than 1 year old.
I had to carry him everywhere we went, and then same thing to the bottom of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon & back up. Good thing I was in shape back then!

Bear

Reactions: Steve H
I feel like we have had peaches and cream corn available here for at least 20 years. Now all the rage is “ butter and sugar “ variety of corn on the cob. Bodacious and Kandy Korn never took off, for good reason. They are not great. I prefer butter and sugar to peaches and cream even though it seems to be popular because it’s the new kid on the block.

what kinda yield do you get with it ?
i know when we do the peaches and cream, we do 300 ears and get about 36 pint bags from it

I’m not sure on yield. They both seem very similar in size and growing time. Guessing they are damn near the same variety just some smarty pants scientist changed one little thing, thought of a new name, and had good marketing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky